• Register Today It's free!

what shocks

ramren16

Reaction score
City, State
greeley, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
i was wondering if any one with a superlift has switched out the superlift shocks for something else. my shocks are all rusted up and it kinda rides like crap now. just dont know which ones to get that will fit, with the extra 4 inches of length on the shocks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what shocks? no shocks!

I've got a '99 sport with the 4 inch Superlift and I don't know how many places I tried but I ended up with a new pair of Superlift shocks, they're supposed to be made by Bilstein, pretty frustrating!

i know it kinda sucks i would like to get something else besides the superlift ones the thing is i dont even think i can get the higher end superlift shocks

According to the people I'm dealing with the regular shocks are all that is available, I must have called a dozen places, I wonder how hard it will get in the future to find after market parts because the sport was discontinued.

According to the people I'm dealing with the regular shocks are all that is available, I must have called a dozen places, I wonder how hard it will get in the future to find after market parts because the sport was discontinued.

there are other shocks available, you probably won't find them listed for an explorer though. You'll need to measure their extended length and compressed length, then find a shock that has similar specs, and the same syle of mounts.

And as far as parts for a sport, they're all pretty much the same as the 4 doors, with a few exceptions, none of which should be a big deal. Getting ford parts may become dificult in the next few years as ford starts to discontinue them, but there should still be pretty good aftermarket support for parts since there are so many of these things on the road.

i wonder if the trailmaster shocks would work i cant see why they wont they have a couple different styles

Bilstein shocks

there are other shocks available, you probably won't find them listed for an explorer though. You'll need to measure their extended length and compressed length, then find a shock that has similar specs, and the same syle of mounts.

And as far as parts for a sport, they're all pretty much the same as the 4 doors, with a few exceptions, none of which should be a big deal. Getting ford parts may become dificult in the next few years as ford starts to discontinue them, but there should still be pretty good aftermarket support for parts since there are so many of these things on the road.

Exactly what Techiman said. What size is your lift, 4"? Just measure the expandable and collapsible lengths. Bilstein 5100's only come with a max of 3" lift (front) and 0" - 2" (rear) for the 2001's. If you need to go any bigger Bilstein 5125's would probably be your best bet.

Back