What should I use, '77 or '78 Bronco? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What should I use, '77 or '78 Bronco?

I am still looking into doing a solid axle swap for my X. I am reading a lot of material, but I had a question. Should I use the full-size D44 from a '78-'79 Bronco, or one that I probably don't have to cut down at all, with the '76-'77? I don't have the tools, or knowledge, for cutting an axle down to fit so I would have to have someone else do it. $$$$:mad: But I just want to know for sure if the D44 from the earlier models would really fit my X without cutting or anything.

What do you think would be best?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For sure get the 77 model. It's just the right width and has disc brakes :D

It depends.

What size tires, motor, desired gears, tranny, t-case, etc etc.

The D44 from a 77 Bronco would be Early Bronco width (still wider than an Explorer D35) but would have smaller u-joints and it is standard cut.

The D44 from a 78 Bronco will be full width, has the 297x u-joints and is reverse cut (stronger when used in a front axle), BUT it has the cast ears for the radius arms which are NOT removable.

I would say go with the 77 Bronco front and upgrade to Warn axleshafts at a minimum. If you want beef, put in some CTM u-joints.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking too. I just wanted to make sure.

I love it when Cory just tells it like it is, the dude knows every detail about everything.
My buddy cut down a full size and put discs on it, even though he had one from a 77 or older & I think it was because the full size had a high pinion, maybe I'm wrong maybe the rear was chosen due to pinion, I dunno.

If you can get the '78 front diff for nothing/cheap, and you know of someone that can cut it down (only the long side) then the '78/high pinion is the way to go.

When installing the solid d44 in the X the lift is what really causes the problems. 5", 6" or more is required to clear the front cross member / diff housing. So if you use the high pinion unit the driveshaft angle will be reduced and fewer vibrations will occur.

Everyone has an opinion, but if I had to do the D44 conversion again it would be with a '78/'79 D44 with high pinion.

Good Luck,

:usa: :chug: :ca:

If you wanted a high pinion axle and wanted to stay full width, look for a 74-77 1/2 ton D44. The ears for the radius arms are easily removed so you can reposition them for better angles for the radius arms.

The engine crossmember is pretty easy to trim with a saw-zall.

It all depends. You may find you want to go full width. That way you don't have to worry about paying to cut down the housing and having a custom axleshaft(s) made.

Back