What size tire on 15x8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size tire on 15x8?

hey guys, had a question about what size tires to put on 15x8 rims. im gonna be buying american eagle 058's 15x8 -30mm offset, 3-1/4 backspacing. what size tires should i put on them? will 235/75-R15's be ok on there? or should i get something a little bit wider?
note the truck is stock for now.
any one have any pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30x90.5x15 or 31x10.5x15 if you are not lifting it right now.

An 8" wide wheel is to wide for a 235x/75/15.

ok ill shoot for a set of 30 x 9.50's then.
anyone have any pictures of them just out of curiosity

thanks!

any suggestions on what kind of tires to get? kinda on a tighter buudget (dont wanna spend a whole lot) need a tire that is real good in the snow, as i drive about 40 miles a day round trip to work. but also one that will last a while drivin that far everyday in fall/spring thanks alot!

pirelli scorpion at...those things are amazing in the snow and they wear like iron

The main reason I suggest sticking to a 15x7 wheel for 235/75/15 is on an 8" wheel the sidewall will be stretched out quite a bit which makes it more susceptible to curbs and other protrusions.

If in the near future you will be buying a larger tire then go ahead and get the 15x8" wheels.

You should be o.k. It doesn't sound like you off road so punctures from rocks won't be a concern. Do be careful of curbs. With the sidewall strecthed it easier to pop the tire off the rim itself.

no offroading with this, just a daily driver to work and back pretty much. i DO want the 15x8 rims b/c.... well the stock ones just arent cool enough lol so ya ill just get a little bit bigger tire, not a problem, i do like the look of a wider tire anyway. looking to spend about 100 bucks a tire, in that ballpark
thanks for the suggestions!

You would be very happy with a set of Pro Comp ATs in either 30 x 9.50 or 31 x 10.50 (with some trimming of the fenders) on the 8" wheels. I wouldn't run 235s on 8" wheels.

The Pro Comp are excellent tires for daily-driven use and more reasonable in price than the Pirelli's. Pro Comp tires often balance out with no weights at all -- wear great (my kid's shop is seeing 50K on Super Duty trucks!) and they stick like glue in the wet and/or snow conditions.

I prefer them to other tires such as the BFG AT, etc. Much better tire at lower cost.

The basis of my knowledge is having two sons that both work in off-road shops. They mount hundreds of tires of every make and model and see which ones actually work best for the money spent. We all run Pro Comps as our own tire of choice.

For a more aggressive look, check out the Pro Comp AT Xtreme.

http://www.procomptires.com/allterrain.html
http://www.procomptires.com/xtremeallterrain.html

Any more the Pro-Comp tires are the same price of BFG. I've never had a set of Pro-Comp so I can't say if they are good or bad. However, most opinions of others here that have had Pro-Comp tires said they are terrible especially the Xtreme.

Any more the Pro-Comp tires are the same price of BFG. I've never had a set of Pro-Comp so I can't say if they are good or bad. However, most opinions of others here that have had Pro-Comp tires said they are terrible especially the Xtreme.

I'm not here to start a tire debate, but I've run BFGs and Pro Comps and I'll take the Pro Comps hands down. At least they balance and they don't crack out the sidewalls when aired down.

I also figure that you're talking about the Xterrains, not the new MT Xtreme tires. The Xterrains have some issues with side-slip on wet clay, so some folks don't prefer them in some instances. I've yet to hear much bad about the new MT Xtreme tires, except that they're not Boggers -- but what is?

I was talking about the Xterains.

I wasn't starting a tire debate, just stating facts on pricing. I have seen the Pro-Comp 33x12.5x15 A/T going for $15 more a tire than the same size BFG A/T KO. Maybe where you live the prices om Pro-Comp are cheaper. The prices I'm referring to are 4Wheel Parts prices.

Back