• Register Today It's free!

What sub should I use

Ken_on_Maui

Reaction score
City, State
Maui, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I have a 1995 4 door XLT, I replaced out the stock cassette/radio with a Sony cd unit, replaced the stock speakers with Pioneers, now I want to do a sub. What's involved? any recommendations? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I was hoping to get more responses from this question. I would like to get some ideas on power amp wattage, sizes of the speakers, locations that work for the 95. Thanks, any ideas are great.

How much do you want to spend?

What kind of music do you listen to? If you listen to rock, then you could probably just put a 10" woofer back there in the cargo space in the corner, that way you keep your cargo space in the rear of the truck. It just fits right inside that hole in the back right of the truck with a stealth box from whoever you want to purchase it from. If you want more then you could go for two 10's. If you listen to music and love bass then you could go for a pair of 12's in a box or if you really really like bass then you could go with a pair of 15's. What ever sub you want to buy though depends on how many watts you need. If you buy a pair of JL audio 12's or 10's in the series of the base model, which is the w-0, then you would only need about 300 watts rms out of your amp. A good amp to push this speaking from experience was an ample audio amplifier which was a 300 rms amp. I had them sounding nice. Or you could use maybe a different brand of amp of your choice. Remember with bigger amps you start looking into upgrading your electrical also. You might have to buy a capacitor along with the amp. I don't think you would have to upgrade anything such as alternators or secondary batteries being new to the subwoofer setup. If you spend alot on your subwoofers you will be spending alot on upgrading your electrical. Sorry for such the long post but I figured that I would just add some things in here to make ya think. It was better than waiting for you to reply with a bunch of little questions. So I threw a few examples at ya. Just my two cents. :)

Ken_on_Maui said:
I have a 1995 4 door XLT, I replaced out the stock cassette/radio with a Sony cd unit, replaced the stock speakers with Pioneers, now I want to do a sub. What's involved? any recommendations? :D
Keep in mind if you get carried away with subs. You will need to amp your door speakers. If you don't want to get into that extra expense then 1 10 would do fine.

One of my friends back from high school had a 10" rockford fosgate. That sub was awesome for how small it was. I don't remember the details. I do remember that he was running one amp on the sub and 4 door speakers. I think that amp was like 400 watts or so. But in my opinion it is the sub box that can make all the difference and that is why I think his sounded so good.

Back