What to do on stereo installation????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do on stereo installation?????

coloradobound

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Tacoma Dcab
OK. I want to replace the factory speakers and head unit. I talked to the local stereo guy, and he said that its easier to just use a signal convertor hooked up to the factory amp. And that 5x7's are the same as 6x8's. Doesn't sound right to me. Whats the deal with that?? And that Crutchfields ratings on RMS power on headunits is wrong. That its all made up. And talking to Crutchfield, they supply a harness bypassing the factory amp and that that is the better way. Who do I believe?? I've heard that it is a pain to use signal convertors and that the signal is not as "clean". And will just a headunit with 20-22 RMS watts be as loud as the factory setup? And how hard is it to do the installation of the headunit and speakers yourself?? The car is a 1994 XLT 4 door. How hard is it with power windows and power mirrors? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll get a load of different arguements here. I'd tend to agree with the local stereo guy that 5x7s don't make a huge difference from 6x8s. The difference in surface area is marginal, and that doesn't even take into consideration the linear excursion, or how far the the cone travels. What's the use of a larger cone if it moves less? Anyway, a lot of the cone is covered by the tweeter and midrange drivers, so I don't think it really matters all that much. In addition to this, some people argue that the smaller circular cones, rather than oval play even better, because of the shape of the circular cone being uniform throughout. It's all theory, and how much any of it makes a difference is up to your ears.

In regards to your car guy mentioning head unit power, here's an article posted by a car audio installers forum. All of these guys are top notch. Read this, and I think you'll agree:
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/headpower.htm

Read the above article, then decide for yourself if you want the speakers to be powered by the amp or the head unit.

Power windows and power mirrors won't make speaker or head unit installation any more difficult. Just make sure the speakers aren't too deep that it gets in the way of window travel. The speakers are easy, and so is installing a new head unit. Both tasks will take about 2-3 hours with a lot of messing around in between. If you go through Crutchfield, they'll give you all the instructions and harnesses, and it's really easy.

If you end up deciding to power with the amp, or to later get a new amp, then looking for a head unit with a high RMS doesn't really matter too much anymore, and it totally changes the way you shop.

JTang is absolutly correct. I myself am a component speaker man (the round ones). I dont like Coaxial although the Alpines I had in my Wrangler ricked. It's a matter of desire and more importantly wallet. I used Boston Pro Series 5" component speakers and will take anyone on when it comes to fedility.

Your head unit is THE most important part of your system. You could have the best MB-Quart or Boston Accousitics speakers that are made, but if your original signal is poor, guess what, so is our output. I used the factory amp for about 3 weeks while I waited for my speakers to arrive and it worked just fine. You may want to check out my response to a question asked similar to this one. Dead Link Removed

That should hopefully answer your questions. If it doenst, drop me a line.

Justin "Skipp" Hoyer
skippman@swbell.net

------------------
93' Mazda Navajo
BF-Goodrich Trail T/A's

Does anybody know what the power of the factory amp on a 1994 XLT???? Just wondered if I just used the amp on the headunit I want to get if it would be as loud, louder, or less. Any clue?

I believe its 15x4 RMS. Do a search in the message board, there might be more info

I have done the exact same thing to my Explorer and had the same questions.
First of all, Crutchfield is exactly right on their RMS ratings so I dont know what that was about.
As for the amp things, you have two routes. B/c of the Ford setup the amp uses non-standard wiring to connect, so you can't just use it like a regular amp, and can't just plug it up to your aftermarket head unit. The first option uses an electronicn signal converter to absorb the power from your new head unit to a ver low level so that the amp only receives enough signal for it to send out. This also provides connection to your new deck that bridges with the odd plugs of the Ford setup. This will use the amp to power the speakers, which is not very good. The reason you have this is to prevent the unit from feeding 22RMS x 4 of speaker signal to an amp that was designed to receive a low level power/communication signal from the factory head unit.
Your other route, which will basically make your soudn setup standard and ease future upgrades is to bypass the Ford amp altogehter and have the head unit drive the speakers. To do this you use a bypass harness which is basically a bundle of wires with special plugs/adapters at one end to line up with the special Ford plugs. You connect the raw wire ends of this to the speaker outputs on your new head unit and run the wires to the back of the vehicle where the amp is. You then unplug the amps 2 connections (speaker, and power) and connect the harness to the speaker plug which outputs to the speakers, making a direct connection b/t speakers and head unit. Then you tape up the other connections and either leave the amp in or unscrew it and pull it out. The only problem with theis is that its a ***** to do by yourself, but is well worth it in installtion cost savings. You have to remove the right rear quarter panel that lines the rear cargo area as well as the floorboard trim and carpet in order to run the wires. It is not hard, it just takes a while to complete. But in the longrun, the signal is much cleaner, there is no risk of burning the speakers and you have the ability to upgrade at a later time.
So, persoanlly I would go with the bypass. You should also note that signal converters are electronic devices that range from $50-$75, while the bypass harness is only a wiring kit that cost about $7 and that Crutchfield will provide for free if you order from them.

As for the Speakers, the installation is pretty much the same on the 95s as it is on the 91-94s. you just pop out the plugs around the door panel, pull out the little arm handle/trim peice (which also contains all the devices for the power windows, and power doors, all in one simple peice), and then take the panel off. Unscrew the old speaker, unplug, and either plugs up (with Crutchfield connecters), solder, or crimp the connections to the new speaker. Then repart in reverse. Not very hard at all.

On my setup, I noticed a little drop in volume, but only after I installed new Pioneer 3-ways in place of stock. It is not really a volume loss, simply that 3-ways emphesize different sound ranges than the stock ones. And the volume drop was also only in relation to the volume level indicator on my new deck. However, before the speaker change, i noticed no loss and probably a gain in power from the new head unit. The Ford amp operates somewhere around 14-16 RMS. Quite a bit lower than most after markets.

Hope this helps. If not email me for more detail.

Back