• Register Today It's free!

what to look for on a 2001 f150?

bonnich

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 1500 HEMI SLT
I am looking at a 2001 F150 super crew lariat 4wd. It has 50,000 on it and the 5.4L the body has some swirls but that’s about it. What are the things I should look out for when I put it on the lift? Any common problems like with the explorer trannys? And I can get it for 20k Canadian.

Thanks for the help

My old '97 (same generation) has been one helluva truck. My dad now owns it and it has 140K. We did rebuild the tranny at 130K and it wasn't the first time someone had been in there. Other than that, the DPFE is the only thing that has gone bad in the 3 years I have associated with it.

Also, if it has the rear sliding window in it, they are infamous for leaking a lot. There is a lot of info over at www.fordtruckworld.com about it.

MattAdams has the same generation F150 and is very involved over at fordtruckworld. He could probably give you a quick list of the major things to look for.

Good Luck!

The later SuperCrews are much better in terms of handling, ride comfort, and quality. The 01 is a first year in all aspects and has a few problems (see f150online.com). Check out F-150 message boards and they will let you know what you must look out for.

On a side note, it may have 50K, but see if it was used to tow. That can put additional stress on the 5.4L.

Back