What tools are included for spare tire change? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tools are included for spare tire change?

I have no spare tires :-( A 90liter toroid LPG is there in my Explorer. In the past 20 years I had never change for a spare tire on any of my cars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ha...good point! I have easily logged well over a million miles in my various vehicles over the years and can only remember one time where I needed to change a tire outside the convenience of my own driveway/garage where I had access to my floor jack. But, I've always had a good spare on-board...and, a suitable jack just in case.

Who among you remembers the old bumper jacks? Those things were an accident waiting to happen if you weren't careful in proper placement of the base on the ground to accommodate for the "lean" of the post as the car's rearend was lifted high enough to get the tire off the ground on those long sedans of the 60's-early 70's...lol

I can't even remember the last time I had an actual flat tire (1993 maybe?) I've had a couple of slow leaks over the years since, due to screws in tires, but I plugged them and I've never had to remove a tire to accomplish those repairs. Judging from the paint on the bottom of my '01 EB's jack it's never been used and the spare is a never touched the ground (original Firestone that should have been recalled).

I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT but 2 of the tools that are for lowering/raising the spare tire are missing and when I spoke to the previous owner they didn't know it was missing and they didn't remember what they looked like. I'm rather good with vehicles and I know my parts and how to do service work but this is the first time since now owning this model vehicle that I need to know what all is included for changing a tire on the Explorer. Currently I am keeping my spare in the back cargo area and I have one of my heavy duty roll-away jacks and lug wrench there just in case so I don't get stranded if I do get a flat. I know what the bottle jack looks like, but can anyone please take the time to take pictures of all their tools that is supposed to be all included to change the tire and send them to me so I know what to look for as I need to buy those tools. I did find the little hidden area behind the back seat where the tools are supposed to be stored but for shopping reference I need to know what those tool rods all look like so I know which one I need. Thank you for your help!
Hi Anony, I might still have a spare set and Jack if you're interested I'll check after work and PM you if I still do (Was cleaning out the garage).

good news still in the recycling bin, pulled them out, let me know if you want them. I got a couple of sets from other 2dr Sports in the junk yards. because I wasn't sure if I had them in mine. found them when I pulled out the whole interior.

Well that's nice of you:)

Three things to mention - jack height, rod to crank down the spare, and don't use a hydraulic bottle jack.

I was driving on a back road and chip of ceramic roof tile got into the front tire. I drove a block and noticed it was going flat and pulled into a Lowe's parking lot. I have larger tires and the OEM bottle jack was too short. Walked into Lowe's and had them cut me up a length of 2x4" lumber to raise the jack. Put on the spare and had alarming dragging sound when I drove a foot. Stupid me...I put the tire on backwards with air steam on the inside. Duh...How did I miss that??? So if you have after-market larger tires, carry a few blocks of wood in the left rear jack compartment.

I don't recall the problem I had with the extension rods fitting, so I carry an adjustable slip-wrench in right side compartment to twist the rod and crank the spare down.

Ugh...Hydraulic bottle jacks. When you release the pressure they collapse, but not far enough to pull the jack out. I had to use my slip-wrench to unscrew the jack cap. The OEM bottle jack with a gear will retract fully when you crank it down. Until I find another gear'ed bottle jack, I carry a scissors jack (AC Delco branded) from O'Reilly's has one with a hex head I can use a socket and ratchet.

Back