What tools are needed to remove an 8.8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tools are needed to remove an 8.8

bottlerocket

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger XL
About to head up to the good ol' Pick-N-Pull and need to grab a new (to me) 8.8. What tools do I need to bring to get this thing out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slide under your Ranger and check out what currently holds your axles to the vehicle. Add an extension pipe to increase torque, something to take care of the E-brake cable, and you should be good to go.

...Bring a couple different wrenches for the brake lines...I have found different sized fittings on them. Just the heads were different..:dunno:

Don't forget your wallet. They will want you to pay for the part. They're not free.

A can of PB Blaster is also a good item to have. I'm sure you'll have some rusty bolts.

Make sure you have deepwell sockets for the U-Bolts on the axles, just in case they are a little long.

Check on your ranger what bolts hold the driveshaft to the rear axle. They may be star heads.

a co2 bottle, impact wrench and lots o deep sockets :)

Yes, I'm addicted to my co2 bottle.. :)

The only things that I can think of that you may not already have with you is stuff to Cut the rear shackles if you can't get the shackle to spring bolt out and the stuff to take the e-brake cable off (if you don't just cut the e-brake line).

~Mark

Back