• Register Today It's free!

'what transmission is this?

stephan325i

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 Bronco II, 2.8, 5spd
I am using the engine and trans out of a 95 explorer for a BII project. The trans i pulled is blown and i need to know which it is so i can get a new one.

Its either a A4LD, 4R44, or 4R55.

It is out of a 1995 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.0 OHV, 4x4. Any other info needed please ask.

Here is a picture. hope someone can help. Also does anyone have one of these that they want to sell?

IMG_1410.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok this helps alot, the dealership could only give me those three options. I will look for a 55 then to put into it. Hopefully i can find one for a fairly reasonable price.

I would think that with " Cash for clunkers " you should be able to score a lower mileage trans at the junk yard.....

it would make sense that with the market being flooded with over 200,000 clunkers car parts would be cheaper. Doesn't seem that way though. on average a used transmission with around 60,000 miles would run me over $650. Im still searching. The cheapest one i could find was a 96k 4r55 for $450.

Any ways, here's a few articles i found that might interest you.

Some reasons why parts may be more expensive.... they lose equity when the engines are blown.

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/08/04/cash-for-clunkers-what-happens-to-the-old-cars/

Now here is a list that should piss us all off. Top 5 includes TWO explorers. Another reason cash for clunkers was a HUGE FAILURE.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/08/cash-for-clunkers-top-10-most-popular-new-cars-and-trade-ins.html

i have a simular question i have a 1996 4.0 ohv 2wd 4dr i pulled the trans ordered a rebuilt 4r55e. when it arrived the bellhousing is not the same. the starter area is smaller by about 1 inch all the bolt holes match up to my plate(between engine and trans) . the top starter bolt hole is much closer to the bell housing bolt hole above it than on my original trans. The shop could not tell why the 4r55e they sent me was different than mine so they are rebuilding mine,this means much more down time. all of this said because the trans in the pic stephan posted is identical to the one they sent me aside from the transfer case adapter (mine is 2wd) and there is a magnetic speed sensor just below the vent tube where mine uses a gear driven speed sensor in the tail housing. Can any one shed any light on the difference in trans , what do i have or what did i recieve?

Back