what type oil do you use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what type oil do you use?

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
i always use castrol, but what weight do you guys use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Castrol syntec full synthetic 5W-30

in my daytona mobil 1
0W-30

is that thick enough though?. i mean, i know people who use 20w-50?

yes, today's engines are made to use 30 weight oil. the first number is the weight at startup. a lower number will flow easier. this really helps in cold weather.
on some engines youcan actually do damage running oil that's too thick. and if you dont, you'll waste a lot of gas anyway.

the recommended oil weight for our explorers is 5W-30.

I'm using Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30

We use 5w-30 most of the time.. and this winter (moved to where it gets colder) we run 0-30..

We now have 253k miles and switched to synthetics at about 140k miles..

I also think there is a thread in the polls area.. with lots of input on oil.. (but I may be wrong)

~Mark

Same as leenjen - Castrol syntec full synthetic 5W-30

Infact, its time for another oil change this Friday.

Just a regular $9.99 10W30 oil change very 3K miles. I see no need for expensive synthetic. My 2002 leased Acura will get the same. And it's change interval is 7K miles!

Originally posted by Kontrol-Trak
I'm using Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30

I second that...I acutally had a small leak...had it changed with Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30, leaked stopped. Very happy with this oil.:D :thumbsup:

me too

Castrol syntec full synthetic 5W-30
good stuff!!!!!!:chug:

Amsoil 10w30.

I use Mobil 1 5w30 in the Explorer so I can sleep easier at night and not feel guilty about not changing it right at 3000 miles... My Mach 1 runs Mobil 1 15w50, and I always used Mobil 1 10w30 in my turbo Talons.

Store brand 10W-30 is good enough for me

Motorcraft 5W-30.
All services performed by Ford dealership.

:chug:

Castrol GTX 10W-30. Drive hard.

Nothing but Havoline 10W30. That was the recommended weight for 91's. It's all I've ever used. Can't be too bad it still doesn't burn any, just a few drips hanging here and there but not enough to notice a drop in the oil level between changes. Speaking of changes I try not to go over 5K but I have gone as many as 8K between changes but only once or twice. In fact just changed it this evening. One thing about Havoline, you can buy it almost anywhere, even Family Dollar and they're cheaper than Wal-Mart on their oil.:cool:

Valvoline full synthetic(synpower) 10w-30. Next oil change im switching to 5-30, didnt know it was the better one to use.

Originally posted by alphabets13
is that thick enough though?. i mean, i know people who use 20w-50?
I had a mach 1 with 390 big block and i used 20w-50. That stuff pours like mollasis!

Originally posted by black crowe
I had a mach 1 with 390 big block

that must've been fun to drive. my dad has a mach 1 with a 351W and that thing is quick. i'd love to drive a big block mach 1.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by leenjen

that must've been fun to drive. my dad has a mach 1 with a 351W and that thing is quick. i'd love to drive a big block mach 1.
Yea it was a blast to drive. It needed a lot of work though and at the time i didnt make a lot of money(not that i do now). If i could have rebuilt motor, paint job, etc., i probably could have gotten a lot more for it. It was a factory ram air 428 cj(70' with 390 4-speed). If i ever come into some money thats the first car im gettin! Next is brand spankin new ex.

Back