Question for Rick and other hard core off roaders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for Rick and other hard core off roaders

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
What type oil do you guys use? Filter? Change intervals?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YOU HAVE TO CHANGE OIL!!!! :eek: I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT...

I use Mazola corn oil.. i find it works the best. Usually change every few days. I take it to a local Mc Donalds, they deep fry their french fies with it. I dont use a filter, i pluged it with a cork!

:D :D :D :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :chug: :thumbsup:

Mobil 1, been running it since it's second oil change. I used to change oil every 3000 miles. Now that I use it mainly offroad I change it 3 or 4 times a year regardless of the mileage. Filter is Fram.

I also change my manual tranny fluid about 3 times a year and use Mobil 1 ATF.

Diff fluid gets changed twice a year.

A lot of oil changes sure, but I figure it's cheap insurance.

My manual tranny fluid used to come out solid black when I used the factory reccomended intervals or slightly less than reccomended mileage. I just changed it yesterday in fact, in preperation for the Moab run and it was still nice and red.

I'm a big fan of synthetic oils no matter what the brand, I just happened to start with Mobil 1.

Rick you should be a sponsor for Mobil1, using that much oil, it's no wonder why where running out

Same as Rick, mobil 1. I change it every 3,000 mi. or every 4 mos. depending on use. I use it more as a daily driver. Filter is also mobil. Engine has 90,000 mi. on it and still going strong.

Why don't you guys use the Motorcraft Filter FL1A? seeing as it cost less then $3.00 at Wally-World........?

Oil Filter

Cboug,

$3 Oil Filters?

Did you ever hear the old expression "You get what you pay for" and I'll add: "if you're lucky".
:D

Fram Filter here too!, Oil Change: 3000 Mi, Synthetic.

Complete flush of Auto Tranny fluid(also synthetic) about every 6000 mi (my Ex isn't a dialy driver either, just an O.R. toy)

Diff fluids: at least annually, but I don't make as many runs as Rick or Tom.

Rick only uses Fram because it matches the Pumpkin's paint scheme. :p

Originally posted by Ray Hutchinson
Cboug,

$3 Oil Filters?

Did you ever hear the old expression "You get what you pay for" and I'll add: "if you're lucky".
:D

Fram Filter here too!, Oil Change: 3000 Mi, Synthetic.
Not necessarily so. Check this out, you might want to stop using Fram filters.
http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html#motorcraft

I think he did read it since he posted a reply in the post that has the links for the oil filter study.

Back