what would hard braking do the car? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what would hard braking do the car?

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
this morning when i drove out the parking lot angry i pressed the brake hard and heard tire skid marks for a few seconds... i did this twice, but i hope i didnt ruin anything... my next fear is check engine light coming on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will do.....

Absolutely nothing. The braking systems are designed to handle panic stops...

this morning when i drove out the parking lot angry i pressed the brake hard and heard tire skid marks for a few seconds... i did this twice, but i hope i didnt ruin anything... my next fear is check engine light coming on

Man, I thought BMW R1200GS owners were worrywarts....

You could, theoretically, spin the tires a little bit on the rims, throwing the wheel balance off...Besides, putting flat spots on the tires. Just don't do it regularly for fun.

Chris

I was just going to say something about flat spotting the tires. It actually doesn't take much to create enough "damage" to cause a high speed "hop" or vibration. If it's a fairly small degree of flat-spotting, it will probably wear away, and make the tire round again, eventually. It would, however, require re-balancing.

Another potential consequence of repeated "panic" stops is warped rotors, and the resulting brake pulsation. Again, very easy to do, even with good rotors. Granted, doing it a parking lot speeds, w/ cold brakes, it's not very likely. However, it can take only oner or two good hard stops in traffic, after the brakes are already up to temperature.

Basically, don't be afraid to USE your vehicle. But..... that's no excuse to ABUSE it. Besides who BRAKES when their pissed? I thought that's what burnouts and rapid acceleration were for? :D

dont every 3rd gen even 2nd gen onward come with abs standard?

dont every 3rd gen even 2nd gen onward come with abs standard?

Yes, but it is very common for one or more sensors to fail, and render the system inoperable (no ABS). Also, even when it is working, there is a certain amount of reaction time needed. It is possible for the tires to lock up briefly before the ABS kicks in; especially if you repeatedly "stab" the brakes, trying to get them to lock up.

Yes, but it is very common for one or more sensors to fail, and render the system inoperable (no ABS). Also, even when it is working, there is a certain amount of reaction time needed. It is possible for the tires to lock up briefly before the ABS kicks in; especially if you repeatedly "stab" the brakes, trying to get them to lock up.

not what i was getting out. the split second they screech its not long enough of time or distance to cause a flat spot on a tire.

the non abs cars the ones cops loved when they saw accidents and could prove you were braking is how you cause flat spots. etc.

That split second could be enough to flat spot a tire ENOUGH to cause a vibration/hop at highway speeds. The tire would look fine, until you put it on a spin balancer. How fast you are going, and how heavy the vehicle is, will influence how much or how little "flat-spotting" will occur in that brief lockup. In any case, ANY time you lock the tires you're removing rubber from only one area. It's just a question of how much.

Back