• Register Today It's free!

What's a truck?

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
As I patiently wait for my EX to be built, I ponder the question. My 2011 Explorer Ford brochure says "2001 Truck of the Year." People comment on photos of the EX and say, "nice truck." But the new EX is built on a car platform, isn't it?

So what makes a truck a truck? Is it some technical spec? Some insurance classification? A checkbox on some government form? Can a manufacturer just call things whatever they want? I've no dog in any hunt here. I don't really care if my EX is a truck, or something else. I'm just curious. Plus I don't want to try and show off my new truck to the dudes at the office and have them snort..."guy thinks he's got a truck! What an idiot!" :)

Not trying to start a kerfuffle. I'm not really a car guy.

The Explorer has always been classified as a station wagon (at least here in PA) because it does not have an open bed and is not designed as a cargo hauler. Different states classify it as different vehicle types depending upon what their rules are.

If they can call a Honda Ridgeline a truck, then the Explorer is a truck. Both are unibodies with front and rear frame sections.

Call it what you want..it doesn't really matter.

Back