Whats the Biggest Help with Towing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the Biggest Help with Towing?

explorer72

Reaction score
City, State
Corona, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4
I'm the market for new shocks (and lift) for my Gen 2 X (4x4 4d). I was thinking of Rancho 9000's in the back due to the adjustable of them with future towing of toys. I also want to do the 2" TT / Shackle lift as well. My main concern is having my X lvl when I have something hooked up too it. Ok, the question I have for everyone is what would be the biggest help with stiffing up the back so that its level when towing but not rock hard when cruising around town? I've heard talk of AAL's to do with the Shackle lift but I don't want the rearend to be too stiff. Also, could I get away with something like Rancho RSX or Edelbrook IAS shocks instead of the adjustable kind? Any info on any of this would be most appreciated.

if you want that kind of adjustability and plan on being serious about towing... look into an adjustable airbag helper for the rear.. they run about $250 but will be well worth it in the long run....

shocks dont have anything to do with ride height, a stiffer shock or adjustable shock wont give you lift when towing, it has to be done in the spring, helper spring, or by using an airbag.....
shocks damped the spring, the spring is what the weight rides on..

Back