What's the difference between starters for auto trans and manual trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the difference between starters for auto trans and manual trans?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I'm wondering if there are obvious visual differences between a starter for an auto trans, and one for a manual. I remember hearing years ago that they are not interchangeable. Is it that they mount on opposite sides of the bell housing? Or do they fit into a different shaped opening?

I just got a new starter bought online, and it looks the same as my old one as far as I can see, but just thought I would ask and be sure before I bolt it up. It would not surprise me for them to send the wrong one...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are almost identical but the teeth are different between auto and manual starters. I believe the manual flywheel has bigger teeth than the flexplate in an automatic.

Hopefully you don't mind me kind of hijacking the thread, but one thing I have always wondered is if people run heavy flywheel/flexplates to help maintain low end power.

The only difference between the auto and manual starters is the gear in the auto starter sits about a 1/4 inch closer to the snout, i know it does not sound like much but i found out the hard way when i did the auto to manual trans swap, everything bolted up right but when i twisted the key the auto starter would not disengage form the manual flywheel.

i fixed a guys ford van. he put a manual starter in his auto van and it locked up the starter. i got a free 87 toyota pickup out of it

Back