Starter Differences 4.0/5.0 MT/AT Having ISSUE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter Differences 4.0/5.0 MT/AT Having ISSUE

jimmyfloyd

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 2dr
So I was wondering if there were any differences between the 4.0 and 5.0 starters and manual starters vs auto trans starters?

I need a new starter for my 95 Ex. And was wondering which ones I could look for and how to identify the right ones.

I should probably elaborate. I am in the process of changing my starter. I got one (actually one and a half) at the junkyard. Had the whole one tested and it tested fine. This one looks like this:

277209_01.jpg

(not mine, but looks like it. See mine below)

Notice the webbing between the bolt holes. It meets the edge of the starter in the center. It doesn't seem to follow the pattern on my truck:

100_1092.jpg

Now the one I removed looks like this:

100_1085.jpg

As you can see, the webbing follows the full outer circle between the bolt hole. The half starter I have has this as well. I have removed the solenoid from my old one (the drive was siezed) tested it to be good, and then put on the other half to get a full one. Still need to take this one to Autozone to get checked.

Here is the half starter without the solenoid installed. It also has a 95 or 96 date stamped on it. The original had a 95.

100_1088.jpg

Now, I have the first one installed, and it is not starting the truck, and making a bad sound too. I am thinking that it is going in too far or not far enough. Could it be one for the 5 speed auto (5r55) rather than the 4 speed (4r55)?

Here are the numbers on my starters:

Old one and half one: F37U 11131 BA

New one (Sticker): Motorcraft
11000 12V USA
F89U BB 9A04C

Can't see the number on the other side.

So Any Ideas on what the issue with these could be?

Back