Wheel Backspacing for 33x12.50's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Backspacing for 33x12.50's

I would like some assistance from those of you that run 33x12.50 M/T's on 91 thru 94 Explorer 4-doors. Mine is a 91 XLT and next week I am upgrading my 4" Superlift to the 5.5" Superlift. After the height increase I plan to install 33x12.50's on 15x8 wheels. My question is: What backspacing should I try to get?

I currently have my eye on Eagle Alloy 589's. Their spec sheet says that the backspacing is 3.25". Also they say that the wheel's offset is -30mm. What does this figure refer to?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

DOGMAN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That should be about what you are looking for. A neutral offset wheel would be 4" on either side of the bolts on an 8" wheel. Backspacing is the amount of space to the back edge of the wheel. In other words, you have a positive offset wheel. (I think this is how it goes) All the big rigs say that you must have something more positive than neutral offset...I just put 33's on my rig and I purchased AR Outlaw II's, 8", with 3.75" backspacing and I don't have rub on the swaybars...

Cheers
Dale

tiessen,

Thanks for your help. Do your tires stick out from the wheelwells considerably? Do you use fender flares? What gears are you running? I currently have 4.10 but with the 33's I plan to use 4.56.

What brand and style of tire are you using? I currently am using Bridgestone Dueler M/T 31x10.50's and will keep the same brand and style with the 33x12.50's. I have been extremely satisfied with the Dueler M/T's performance. The are an all around great tire. I know everyone uses the BFG M/T and it is a tried and true performer, but the Bridgestone merits some consideration. There is a very positive review of it in www.off-road.com . Just search MUD TIRE.

Also, what height and brand of lift do you use?

Thanks again.

DOGMAN

Backspacing is from the mounting surface of the wheel to the edge of the inside wheel lip. Offset is the mounting surface of the wheel to the middle of the rim's width. Hope this helps.

I'm running 3.73's with factory LSD right now, but I'm saving for gears.

The tires stick out considerably (~2-2.5"). In fact I got pulled over 2 days after putting them on. I don't know what to do about fender flares. They are such a rip off ($500 Can for 4).

I'm running BFG AT KO's. Haven't had a chance to try them out. I went with them on all the recommendations from others and from a reputable tire shop where I bought the wheels and tires.

Cheers

Dale

Dogman,
You want to sell me your gears when you get the 4.56s? I am currently running 33s on stock 3.55s. I want to get 4.56s too, but that will have to wait till I graduate from college and buy the ARBs I so desperately want. Let me know.

------------------
HIX

"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

http://members.xoom.com/hixhix/HIX/hixhomepage.html

HIX,

Yeah, sure I'd sell you the 4.10 gears when I replace mine with 4.56 . No problem. I know it will be cheaper than buying new, but with 33" tires and stock horsepower, 4.10 gears will still leave you underpowered. Besides, paying someone to set up the gears is usually expensive, and doing it yourself is no cakewalk, you need to be experienced to do it right. The Dana 35 front axle is quite the pain to tear down and put back together. My installer charged me double for the front compared to the back, and I don't blame him.

Suit yourself, but many on this website have proven that 33" and 4.56 go together. Not trying to spend your money but I think you will be happier in the long run.

Keep in touch.

DOGMAN

I got lucky, My best friend out here is a Ford truck mechanic who has helped me install every mod that I have done for free(not counting beer Dead Link Removed ) Keep me in mind when you swap em out- I might still be interested.

------------------
HIX

"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

http://members.xoom.com/hixhix/HIX/hixhomepage.html

Dogman,

What type of Superlift 4" are you getting rid of (kit, system, Superrunner,etc), why, and are you interested in selling it.

Bob
Mulepick@aol.com

Update on the 33x12.5's on 8" rims with 3.75" backspacing. I just installed Superrunner radius arms and now I have rub. It seems they stick out farther than stock...well, I really don't care. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Cheers
Dale

Back