joefnh

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Callsign
KA1DGB
I have a 2003 4.0L 4x4 and have been looking through several posts regarding the correct method for using the noise that a bad front wheel bearing makes when turning to help diagnose which which bearing to replace.

I have been experiencing a noise that is worse when turning to the right; does that mean that the right wheel bearing is bad or the left.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

--Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Turboexplorer. How hard is it change the front bearings? In the Haynes manual it looks pretty straightforward.

--Joe

Really easy!!! 2 or 4WD is really easy. Pull brakes and caliper bracket three bolts on the back side of the knuckle and the axle nut thats all it is its a 15 min job really if you've done it before half hour if not really easy only problem is the price of the new bearings since they are sealed with the ABS sensor in them.

Thanks Turboexplorer.

How hard is it to replace the rear wheel bearing, if I replace the hub bearing assembly on the 3rd gen explorers?

--Joe

Not sure on that one I have not done any of those. They have the IRS rear ends so I am not sure. I would imagine real similar to the front ones. Does your Hayes show anything?

Thanks for the reply Turboexplorer

I will have to check he Haynes on the rear hub/ bearing assembly

I was just wondering on the 3rd gen X's what special tools would be required to replace the rear hub / bearing assy

--Joe

Joe, one thing to check, I knew the balance on my front tires were off so I had a shop balance my wheels and my hub bearings inspected (free inspection). They told me my hub bearings were fine and that the vibration I was getting came from the balance on my tires being VERY off.

All my self checks on the hub short of taking it off and examining it showed it to be fine, but vibrations and noise persisted. The mech said that the tire making the most noise was WAY off and when I would take load off of it the vibration would diminish thus giving me the false signs of hub bearing failure.

This might be of use to you, it cost me $16 to fix rather than $150 for the bearing hub.

Thanks exCali, I am due for a tire rotation; if I have the tires rotated and the noise moves that will pin it on the tire.

Just in case, does anyone know what is involved with replacing the rear hub/bearing assy on a 2003 3rd gen X?

--Joe

Back