4wd issues, already read the troubleshooting thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd issues, already read the troubleshooting thread

TomCat_Ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Hey guys,

I seem to be having issues with my 4wd. I followed these steps:

"97-01 4-door and 96-00 Sports
Your control knob should say 4auto, 4high, 4low.
First, we need to narrow it down to a transfer case issue, or a front axle issue.

Step 1) Jack up the front end and place it securely on jack stands.

Step 2) Verify that the front driveshaft turns by hand. When turning the front driveshaft by hand, the front wheels should turn. (If only one turns, don't be alarmed. One wheel sometimes has more resistance in the brakes, bearings, or CV joints. This is normal)

Step 3) Start the vehicle and let it idle in PARK. Engage 4high. DO NOT PUT THE VEHICLE IN GEAR!!! Crawl underneath and see if you can turn the front driveshaft.
**If you can turn the front driveshaft, the transfer case is not locking. This could be due to a mechanical issue with the transfer case itself, or an electrical gremlin with the control system. Start a new thread with the results of your checks, and we'll go from there.
**If the front driveshaft does not turn, the transfer case is locking properly and we need to continue searching.

Step 4) With the front wheels in the air, engine idling in PARK, spin one front wheel. The other wheel should spin the opposite direction. If both wheels spin in opposite directions, then the front axle *should* be properly engaged. Take it for a test drive (after safely lowering it to the ground, of course). If the front wheels do not spin in opposite directions, there is a problem with the front axle. Start a new thread with the results of your checks, and we'll go from there."

I get to step three...with the front tires in the air, in 4-High, the front drive shafts spins freely. So where do I go from here to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks.

Also, the ABS light isn't on, and the 4-high and 4-low lights work as they should (they turn on and don't blink).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked the selector switch for resistance; all of the specs were within their proper range. The switch isn't the culprit.

Wouldn't I not be able to hear the "clunk" when I shift it into 4-low if the shift motor was bad/going out? Because even when I hear the clunk and low range is engaged, my 4wd still does not work.

I still have not resolved this issue...regrettably, I haven't had the time to diagnose it any further. My plan, for the little free-time I will have this weekend, is to jack her up and get all four tires off from the ground. From there, I will test the 4wd in all settings. If it works with the tires off the ground, I'm going to assume the t-case is shot. If it doesn't work at all, well...I'm not quite sure what that would mean (any input on if it doesn't work at all...is there anything besides it being electrical?).

I've been calling around to local scrap yards, and no one seems have what I need...looks like I'll probably be ordering one from good ol' eBay, if needed.

I have the Ford service manuals for the '98 Explorer, and I'd love to just rebuild the t-case...but I highly doubt I will have the time to tackle that project.

Okay, I did some more testing today.

The first thing I did was jack it up and got all four tires off from the ground. Then I tried it in Auto, all 4 wheels spun with no issues. I tried it in 4-High and 4-Low, and all four wheels still spun.

Then I put it in auto and turned it off, lowered the back end, started it back up and tried to turn the front drive shaft...it was locked in.

Then I lowered the front end and went for a drive. I'm definitely hearing the clunk in and out of 4-low (not always going into it, though, but always going out).

Then I pulled into the driveway, parked it, put it in auto, turned the car off, and jacked the front end up. The shaft was still locked in.

I turned the car on and put it in 4-low... now the front drive shaft was free and able to spin (the same was true for 4-high).

So what does anyone think? It definitely worked with all of the tires off from the ground, and it HAD to have continued working when I went for the drive, correct? Otherwise wouldn't the drive shaft not still have been locked in when I got back from the drive?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If I need to order a new transfer case, I need to do it soon.

Thanks!

I picked up a used one today. It has something bolted on to it that mine doesn't have, but I can't figure out what it could do. It's a plate with a couple of cylinders bolted on both sides. My original has the mounts for it, but not whatever it is...my guess is that it's some sort of vibration dampener?

Any idea what that extra part is? I want to know if I should leave it on there or take it off or if it makes any difference?

I have come to the conclusion that the part is likely just a vibration dampener. I just left it on there, since I don't see what it could hurt. With that being said, I got the new transfer case in today and took her for a spin. The 4wd is definitely working, so it was the clutch in the transfer case that had worn out. When I had the two transfer cases side-by-side, I could noticeably tell that the new(er) one was less worn; when I spun the front and rear outputs in opposite directions, the new one had a substantial amount of resistance, whereas my old one hardly had any.

Just filled it up with some Amsoil fluid and moved on to the rear diff (getting a new diff seal and Amsoil fluid). Now that I have a couple of weeks off, it's time to spend some quality time with my Explorer!

I didn't want to mess with silicone, I bought a gasket for it.

Back