Wheels and rubbing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheels and rubbing

Quick question:

I have been told that I could put 32x11.5 on stock 15x7 wheels. I was told that I may want to air down the tires a bit. With the torsion lift, I know there will be minor rubbing with 32x11.5. My question is, will I get more rubbing with 15x8 wheels or 15x7? Can I have a wheel with a neutral offset? Thanks for the help!

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did not know you could fit 32s on a stock Explorer. Is that only with the torison bar twist and is that only on the 95 and 96, maybe even 97 Explorers? I have a 1994 Explorer and I am interested in putting 31 10.5s on. Does anybody know if they will fit on the stock rim and will they rub? I have heard many say that they will fit, and I see Explorers even on this site with that tire and a lift. Is any lift necessary?

From what I have heard, the 91-94 Explorers can only fit 30's, but some have been able to run 31's I believe. The 95-97 Explorers can run 31's and some run 32's with the torsion twist with minor rubbing.

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

Tate,

31x10.50's will fit nicely on stock 7" wheels. At full turn, they will rub slightly on the sway bar.

As far as lift goes, I personally would not run 31's on a 91-94 without some lift. It will look like the tire is totally filling up the wheel well, with not much clearance above the tire to the fender. It is a matter of personal preference though.

DOGMAN

Is there anyone who can help me with this? I know there are previous post that speak towards this, but I haven't been able to find one that can help me directly. Thank you ahead of time! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

Tim,
Your answer lies more in the wheel's backspacing, than in the wheel's size. The wheel with the optimum backspacing will work the best regardless of width. I run 16x7s and the tires rub slightly at full lock. The off set and backspacing is stock. I have not measured them. Sorry! There is a thread in this area that talks about back spacing with some measurements given by members. Check it out for more answers.
Rick

------------------
Rick
95 Explorer Sport Expedition
Dead Link Removed

I really want to run 32's on my truck but I am not sure how much rubbing I will get, and I do not want to get a body lift at all. My main worry about wheel off set is the effect it will have on bearing life and other wheel components, is it as bad as I think? How much rubbing will I expect to get? I think that I have "B" rated torsion bars, but I'm not 100%, I have a 96' 4 door XLT. If 32's are going to be such a hassle, should I get 31', even though I would much rather want 32's. My final question is if I kept the 15x7 inch tires, would I get more or less rubbing then if I got 15x8? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

I've got a '97 XLT 4x4, all stock with P235/75x15 tires. I go offroad (desert back road stuff--nothing TOO radical) but desperately need more clearance. Don't want to do any lift kit right now. Has anyone had any rubbing or turning problems with 31x10.5s? How noticible is the power loss? Any gas milage or odometer issues with the larger tires? Would I be better off (gain some clearance but with less problems) with 30x9.5s? Thanks for your feedback!

Hi guys! I'm back. Here's my experience. I have a 1997 XLT 4dr 4x4 4.0ltr OHV engine. I twisted the torsion bars up front to gain about 2" of lift, and put on a JD 2.5" rear lift. I removed the overload spring when I did this, so the total lift in the rear is about 2.75" (no more sagging butt).

I just put on a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/T in 31x10.5 on stock 15x7 wheels. No rubbing problems at all. As for power loss, it's not too bad. The tranny kicks out of overdrive more often than before. I guess it depends on how hard you drive it. I also have a larger MAF and larger throttle body, with a KKN filter kit. I really don't mind the slight power loss. I'm sure I'll make it up when I put on hedders.

You can e-mail me at tysonlai@earthlink.net if you have any more detailed questions.

NoBoundries if you go with the 32's you will most likely have quite a loss of power and would need to change your gearing. Some pepole say you don;t have to worry about power loss with 32's or even 33's, but from experience, anything larger than 31's will most likely need to have some gearing changes. With your stock rims, you shouldn't get but a little rubbing on your sway bar and possibley on you radius arms. If you go with the 15x8 without any backspacing they will rub more if you get a wider tire on it also

------------------
91XLT 4x4 4"lift
4.0l SOHC

Hey no bounderies ,

Listen to someone who is experienced with the power loss. I have them on my truck sohc with thirty twos on it , tell you the truth , I have not really experienced any power loss except running at low rpm's and about 50mph and want to ease it up in speed , It doesnt want to do that to easy and it kicks down a gear. but tell you the truth , I had more power loss in my 92 when I put 30's on it than I did with my98 with 32's. as for the wheels I have measured and stuff if you have an xlt they should work just great, but I have not done it to mine because of the flares, this weekend I am going to take some off my friends jeep ( 32's with 15x8 wheels) and through them on mine and see if they work. Some old jeep have the same bolt patterns as our explorers

------------------
Ryan Jones
98 eddie baurer 4x4
2 inch lift
32x11.50 buckshots
manik brush gaurd and go rhino tail light gaurds
hella black majik driving light
jbl door speakers and kicker fifteen

92 explorer with two inches of lift
30x9.50 mud kings

mrjones98e@hotmail.com

Right Now I have 31x10.50's I do get minor rubbbing when I'm in a full hard turn but was told I could put 32's on. Will 32's work without any further modifications, and is it worth it to go to the 32's?

By the way the amount of power loss depends on your gearing. I have a 373 LS rear end, and did notice a loss of power but it was pretty minor. I've heard if you go to 33's you need at least 410's in the rear end.

Tate,

31s will go on a stock wheel on a stock height 1st generation explorer. Only rubbing might be on the swaybar at full lock, but I've seen a number of instances where there was no rubbing at all. And it looks pretty good too.

Guys, I hope you realize this thread is 2.5 years old and I'm sure the original issues have been resolved ;)

LOL. I was sort of surprised when I recieved e-mails saying this thread was recently replied to.:)

BTW. I ended up going with 265/75R16, about a 32x10.5 tire. No real rubbing, but with upgraded swaybar links, I got some rubbing on the top of the wheel well.

no rubbing

put ome springs on rear, 1.5 inch tt.
just put 32x11.5 bfgoodrich at ko's on 1995 xlt
no rubbing yet whatsoever. At full lock they have not hit
sway bar. I have only used it on the street and it has not rubbed anywhere. off road may be different but it is nice to know on the steet nothing rubs.

Ok.. i did search.. tht's the way i found this post..

I got a 92 Explorer wit about 2" of lift and i hawe some 32x11,5R15 tires orderd and on the way.. (used on factory jeep whhels)

I know i need to cut some.. but i guess i will order a set 15x8 wheel.. and i will never understand the stuff with backspasing and stuff.. so wath whell shold i order to eliminate rubbing on the inside of the tire?

attachment.jpg

Back