Rubbing with stock wheels and tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubbing with stock wheels and tires

I have been noticing that my stock tires rub the sway bar up front when i am turning all the way to the right. I know it's hitting the swaybar because you can actually see the rub marks. I have 255/70/16 size tires on there right now. I have done a 2" suspention lift and a 2" body lift, so I am planning on putting 265/75/16 tires on. My question was, should I put wheel spacers on to eliminate this rubbing, especially since the 265/75's are gonna be slightly wider?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rip the sway bar out LOL
just get some new wheels with less backspacing

I dont want to waste my money on new wheels.

you dont think wheel spacers will do the trick?

The sway bar isn't necessary, but everyone has given you good advice. Either get the spacers and put more wear on your bearings (which are sealed and cost A LOT) or get new wheels (which can get expensive) or take off the sway bar (which is free and not exactly life threatning). Good luck. Hope it works out.

-Drew

I decided I am gonna buy some 15x8 wheels but since I am experiencing rubbing with stock wheels do u think that a 3.75" backspacing would be sufficient?

yes

Thanks rino351

I have an eddie bauer and the fender flares stick out past the wheels and think this looks ridiulous if I get 32/11.50/15 with a 3.75" backspacing do you think that it will make those tires look almost flush with the fender flares?

mmm, hard to say. maybe, maybe not. just have to try it and find out.

or do u think a 3 5/16" backspacing would be better just to make sure it does come out to the flares?

didn't know they made a backspacing like that. kinda up to your preferences.
if you look at the pictures on my website in my sig, I have 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing with 32x11.5 tires. you can look and see if you like how far they stick out or not.

Back