When does the PCM open the Purge solenoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When does the PCM open the Purge solenoid?

1993Saturn

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
93, 99 Bauer 4x4
Being that I have replaced the vapor canister purge solenoid twice and there is still a problem with bad fume smells. I want to know how to tell if the PCM is even signalling the solenoid to open and for how long. My solenoid does work when I separately apply 12 volts to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I "thought" it was opened when the motor hit closed loop But according to this page I found its when its running..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...epairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f802c54bc

When are you smelling it? When parked? When running?

Also, the 1st gens don't check for an evap system leak so if the valve on the tank or the hose between the tank and the vehicle has a leak it won't detect it. Heck, it could be leaking out of the hose as it connects to the tank (fill hose) or from around the Fuel pump. I'd try reaching a rag/paper towel around the top of the fuel tank and see if its wet.

Back to the pruge solenoid. When it is energized it allows the vapors to be pulled into the throttle body (thats where the hose goes). Even if that hose is off I would not expect to be able to smell fuel there.

~Mark

The problem comes and goes. It has no pattern, it seems. It stinks at idle and while driving. Sometimes I can't run the A/C because it sucks it in as well.
I'll have to check the top of the tank later. Right now it is about 100 out there.
The gas cap does 'swoosh' when opening it. Don't know if the air is going in or out. There is a valve in the center of the underside of the cap. Is the plastic stem supposed to stick into the hole, or just stay up inside the cap.

..Another thing to check is disconnect the hose between the tank and the canister and try t blow some air thru it...

..The hose can start rotting on the inside and chunks of hose can plug the hose itself up (or the tubing) before the SPV and/or before the manifold...

..Other things to check if you are suspecting a leak that's venting to atmosphere is,

the ring on the fuel tank to the fuel pump
the hose from the fuel tank to the canister
and the hose from the fuel tank to the gas cap..

Well, now it looks like I have a pile of stuff to check out. I like talking about a problem, but I hate actually fixing it, since it seems like I am always fixing something somewhere on somebody's vehicle. Now that my son has moved away, I will have fewer to work on.

Back