• Register Today It's free!

When to replace shocks?

metal4life

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a '96 with 197,000 miles...my gut tells me to replace the shocks, but the thing is, I've no idea if the previous owner did or not already, and everything else on the underside of the truck seems to be in excellent condition. How do I tell if they're still functioning properly? I bought some just in case, but I don't wanna waste the money if they're not worn out. I tried the bounce test and it was about as conclusive as a daily horoscope to me. The front does seem to bounce more than the rear, but I'm sure the rear is sagging.

I just don't wanna waste money, and it's just an old $1,000 winter truck.

I'm just unsure because I don't know if the bouncing and jouncing is due to bad shocks, or if it's just normal for a Sport wheelbase as it does seem to be front to rear motion...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple ways to check. First how do you feel if the truck goes over a bump at relatively high speed. Do you feel that you sit in a boat on the sea? If the answer is yes, then you need to replace the shock. Or push each coner of the truck as hard as you can and release it suddenly. If the truck bounces more than once, you need to repleace the shock.

You can also check the shock by eye to see whether there is any oil leak or not. If the oil is leaking, you eneed to replace the shock. I replaced my original at about 105K miles. And I am going to replace it every 50K.

If you go over a speed bump and it bounces more than a couple times they are shot.

Or if it feels like a tank- mine were gone and I was basically running on torsion bars.

At 197k, even if they did replace them, I'd toss some on there anyway, they're probably ending their useful life. You can get a set of Sensa-Tracs through Advance Auto and creatively using discount codes right now for $100 total.

Also, my '95 had stock factory shocks on it at 170k and they didn't float on the highway or rebound more than once when testing them from the corners either, but they were gone. The spring rate/torsion is really too tough for a bump test like a car IMHO...

The non-floaty non-bounce testy '95 shocks:

100_4985.jpg

How's your truck on wash boards? Mine was brutal. A set of sensatraks, and I couldn't believe how much better it was. I now barely feel the washboard that used to try to throw me in to the ditch.

^ That's exactly what mine was doing ^

I lost a kidney from my shocks. Damn things...

At 197k, even if they did replace them, I'd toss some on there anyway, they're probably ending their useful life. You can get a set of Sensa-Tracs through Advance Auto and creatively using discount codes right now for $100 total.

Can you please elaborate?

Any idea when the previous owner replaced them? Joe is saying that if they were replaced at 100k, or 120k, they could use replacement anyway.

Joe is also saying that after replacing his shocks he noticed a huge difference, and for a hundred bucks he has a truck that's way safer.

Joe says lots by not saying much sometimes (Talking about putting words in a guys mouth).

Thanks Dono! I need a macro program, or a list of responses that I can cut and paste... :D

All of the above is true...

If it was for the discount, you can use the Advance Auto discount codes to bring the total cost down to about $100 for the set of 4 shocks...

Advanceautoparts.com has promo codes used at checkout...get creative tho...the sensatracs are about $43.50 each down here...so I just bought two...used a promo code for $35 off $85 or more for one order and did a second order for the back shocks...used the same code twice.

Just pay online and select your local store to collect them at.

Codes are as follows

•20% off sitewide with no minimum via code "P20"
•$10 off orders of $30 or more via code "A123"
•$20 off orders of $50 or more via code "A123"
•$30 off orders of $75 or more via code "BIG30"
•$35 off orders of $85 or more via code "RAF7JA1102"
•$40 off orders of $100 or more via code "CCABIN"
•$50 off orders of $150 or more via code "VISA"

I took it by a tire center n had em look at it, the technician was faitly sure they were in fact the original shocks. In which case im amazed how well theyve held up for 16 years lol. So ya she's gettin new gabriels... if i can get to those nuts on the top of the driver's rear shock...

Take the spare tire down first :)

Back