Where are all the used 1st gens? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the used 1st gens?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too many people with more money than sense.

Too many people with more money than sense.
EVERYTHING is high as hell this year...EVERYTHING with a motor...cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes.....all of it. People were hit with bricks of cash for the past year and have been sheltered at home....Crazy prices on everything.

It, looks nice. I wonder what a more "accurate" version would go for. One with a bubble roof, etc. I've only ever seen two JPs for sale. This one, and one on craigslist a few years back. I think the CL truck was around $8k.

EVERYTHING is high as hell this year...EVERYTHING with a motor...cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes.....all of it. People were hit with bricks of cash for the past year and have been sheltered at home....Crazy prices on everything.
That's the truth, and it doesn't have to have an engine. I paid $42 a sheet for 4x8 OSB plywood this past weekend. It's out of control! I'm glad I only needed 3 sheets.

That's the truth, and it doesn't have to have an engine. I paid $42 a sheet for 4x8 OSB plywood this past weekend. It's out of control! I'm glad I only needed 3

That's the truth, and it doesn't have to have an engine. I paid $42 a sheet for 4x8 OSB plywood this past weekend. It's out of control! I'm glad I only needed 3 sheets.
I just sold my 2018 ford ecosport to CARVANA last week....for 1300 MORE than I paid for it BRAND NEW 2 years and 4 months ago with almost 20k on the clock! They came to my house, picked it up and gave me a check! In WHAT WORLD can you buy a little ****getter....drive it 2+ years and SELL it for MORE than you paid....? NUTS....

carvana2018ecosport.jpg

I just sold my 2018 ford ecosport to CARVANA last week....for 1300 MORE than I paid for it BRAND NEW 2 years and 4 months ago with almost 20k on the clock! They came to my house, picked it up and gave me a check! In WHAT WORLD can you buy a little ****getter....drive it 2+ years and SELL it for MORE than you paid....? NUTS....

View attachment 330894
Wow.. I guess that's what happens when auto manufacturers can't manufacture. Something has got to give.

In my industry (forklifts and dock equipment), I see all aspects of the local economy. The 75 corridor through KY and OH, supplies a lot of the auto makers. Ford in KY, Honda in IN, Toyota in KY, and others are with in an hour from the highway. I've noticed many of these suppliers slowing down recently with the car makers idling their plants from the chip shortage. One customer was saying the GM lines they supply have been shut down for almost a year now. They build suspension parts and transmission springs.

Wow.. I guess that's what happens when auto manufacturers can't manufacture. Something has got to give.

In my industry (forklifts and dock equipment), I see all aspects of the local economy. The 75 corridor through KY and OH, supplies a lot of the auto makers. Ford in KY, Honda in IN, Toyota in KY, and others are with in an hour from the highway. I've noticed many of these suppliers slowing down recently with the car makers idling their plants from the chip shortage. One customer was saying the GM lines they supply have been shut down for almost a year now. They build suspensi parts and transmission springs.
Lots of Honda manufacturing in Ohio as well. It hasn’t really been that slow, I don’t think.

There are 4000 ford trucks sitting at the speedway in Sparta KY waiting on computers. It's crazy.

Lots of Honda manufacturing in Ohio as well. It hasn’t really been that slow, I don’t think.
Yep and International has a plant near Dayton OH where they built Chevy vans, and the GM 4500, 5500 series trucks. It's amazing to think how important this small area is to the auto industry.

View attachment 330894
Good move! People looking for used cars are now competing with rental companies and dealers, who can't get newer ones. Rental companies sold off lots of their cars during the pandemic - and demand for rental cars is way up now.. I'm feeling better all the time having got my fixer upper Ex in March. First time I've ever seen prices on used car listings at dealers, go up instead of down, on their used inventory on the lot for a while. But, I found this in a search: Used 1993 Ford Explorer - 1FMDU34X9PUC61978 | Auto.com

Good move! People looking for used cars are now competing with rental companies and dealers, who can't get newer ones. Rental companies sold off lots of their cars during the pandemic - and demand for rental cars is way up now.. I'm feeling better all the time having got my fixer upper Ex in March. First time I've ever seen prices on used car listings at dealers, go up instead of down, on their used inventory on the lot for a while. But, I found this in a search: Used 1993 Ford Explorer - 1FMDU34X9PUC61978 | Auto.com
Man, if I was closer, I'd jump on that one. It's my favorite color green. I've only seen one other that color. It sat behind a body shop for several years close to me. Then it disappeared one day. I never saw it again. It was in pretty bad shape.

Selling a 2 year old car for more than you paid for it new means your money is worth that much less now than when the car was new. People claim high demand and the lack of inventory but every car lot I drive by is full of cars, craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc all have stuff for sale. I was looking at buying a newer used desktop computer but the shop wanted almost as much for the used one as I could buy a new computer for.

Man, if I was closer, I'd jump on that one. It's my favorite color green. I've only seen one other that color. It sat behind a body shop for several years close to me. Then it disappeared one day. I never saw it again. It was in pretty bad shape.
Mine's Pacific Green also. Also the interior! Love that color. BUT when I do some rust/paint repair on the bottom edges of doors/wheel wells, I'm going to have to do a faux Eddie Bauer treatment for that area, I seriously doubt being able to match that color which has had since '98 to fade a bit. Not sure what color to go with. And I've only seen one 1st gen Ex around here, 2 of the 2nd gen Exes not including mine. Lots of the 3rd gens around though.

Back