Where are all the used 1st gens? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the used 1st gens?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you gentleman. I am having several made to my expectations. Don't know if there are any ladies here? But the new sticker will say.........with a play on a word or so......
NO AIR BAGS
WE DIE LIKE REAL WOMEN!

Have a couple of "old" lady friend antique car owners who will love these. We are all over 70 and like to kick the oil cans around. One "mechanic" wants me to design stickers for their Saber Jet. One day she will get it put back together.
Lady here! And I could wear the 'red hat', soon to join the 'purple hat' ladies! Driving slower cars than I used to, LOL. Will be looking for the stickers to come.

Glad you got one. I'll have to throw a photo up. Mine is nothing special, but it's an XLT, pretty much a stocker with the fender flare kit, which I never see on any others. roof rack & running boards. It's straight, runs nicely, and is dependable. Odometer says about 76, but I have no idea, guessing its 176, doubt it would be more. The rocker panels are rusted out on the back end under the back of the back doors, but other than that, it's pretty solid
Just have to throw this in...

Another thing I really like about the gen 1s, I use the back several times most days. On these older ones, I really like that the rear window opens without the bulky frame they put on the later models. It's really nice to be able to only open the back window without the button and the big frame

I'm so glad I bought my Explorers when I did. My last first gen purchase was the Navajo I picked up in Frankfort KY, about 2.5 years ago. I've ever only seen one other one in person, nearly 12 years ago now.

This is the natural automotive progression. These vehicles have been cheap used transportation for the last 10 years like many other cars of the 90s and 2000s. Their low value usually makes it such that people won't fix them when they break and they just go buy another $1000 beater and junk it or leave it in the weeds.
The few first gens I've been seeing for sale lately have been in the neighborhood of $6 - $9k, which is more than twice what I paid for any of mine. Now they are beginning to be worth enough to fix and interest in early 90s vehicles in on the rise. With the Bronco revolution on the horizon, I look for B2 values to soar. The Explorer was the next gen Bronco 2, and people will begin to take notice of them in the next few years. Every car that was popular when new, will be popular classic cars later. It just takes about 35 years or so for the cycle to complete.

Our 68 mustang convertible is a perfect example of this. My dad bought it for $800 in 1974. It was just another used car at that time, like a 2012 honda or something would be today. We still have it today, I don't have to tell you what that car is in today's market. We wouldn't have it if we had to buy it today.
I have 2 (soon to be one due to catastrophic rust unfortunately) 1993's (XLT and base) and picked them up $200 each. The one I'm keeping has some body rot but mostly solid. I also have a '94 with some wonky suspension and a clutch slave cylinder probablem. I'd say they're fading because of how annoying it is to remove the engine & transmission, as well as the downpipe to the catalytic converter being an odd shape making exhaust work a hassle.5 From what I've heard Jeeps (in general and of that era) have easier access to major parts, as well as a better downpipe from the inline 6 vs the v6.

Just have to throw this in...

Another thing I really like about the gen 1s, I use the back several times most days. On these older ones, I really like that the rear window opens without the bulky frame they put on the later models. It's really nice to be able to only open the back window without the button and the big frame
I agree completely. The rear glass by itself makes it more usable, plus it makes the rear strut replacement way easier

Yes siry bob I picked my 92 ploder up from my father after he bought it for 300 back in 09. Then he bought an engine from a 98 ranger. He told me if I put it in I can have it. Never gonna let it go

I agree completely. The rear glass by itself makes it more usable, plus it makes the rear strut replacement way easier
Interesting that one of the upgrades on the new "Bronco Sport" is that the rear hatch glass opens independently from the hatch itself - - so what was once old is new again. . . If the only the Gen1's had winglet window's on the doors . . .

Paul

Interesting that one of the upgrades on the new "Bronco Sport" is that the rear hatch glass opens independently from the hatch itself - - so what was once old is new again. . . If the only the Gen1's had winglet window's on the doors . . .

Paul
Cozy wings are the best!! Lack of those and non-lighted power window switches are my main gripes with first gens.

My daily is now a Mercedes GLK 350. It has no seperate hatch glass. The window is fixed and the whole tailgate opens from the remote or pushbutton on the gate itself. I've very quickly found out how much I used the Explorer's rear opening glass, and there aren't any motors to fail.. the Benz is sweet, but I'm not looking forward to the future complex (expensive) repairs.

I have 2 (soon to be one due to catastrophic rust unfortunately) 1993's (XLT and base) and picked them up $200 each. The one I'm keeping has some body rot but mostly solid. I also have a '94 with some wonky suspension and a clutch slave cylinder probablem. I'd say they're fading because of how annoying it is to remove the engine & transmission, as well as the downpipe to the catalytic converter being an odd shape making exhaust work a hassle.5 From what I've heard Jeeps (in general and of that era) have easier access to major parts, as well as a better downpipe from the inline 6 vs the v6.
Rust is the achilles heel of these trucks. Some of mine are getting bad, but not bad enough to make them unsafe. They just look like hell. I did cut one up several years ago that wasn't safe for the road. It was from michigan. It only had about 70K on it. It donated a lot of parts to the cause. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to tackle fixing some of these projects I've been wanting to do!

Love the No Airbags decal. My 95 Explorer Sport had a constant airbag dash lamp on. Never bothered me until I took it to inspection. Decided to pull the bulb. Now it beeps codes on startup and returns every 45 mins or so. The alert is to let me know bulb is out and that airbags may be out. As it turns out the brackets on the radiator core support with the crash sensors was completely rusted out and sensors were just hanging. I just removed them as it is a yard truck.

Love this old truck and many have suggested I look to put it up for sale as the prices seem to be rising. It is way too much fun to drive and costs me nothing. Gotta believe these are a target to off road builders and enthusiasts.

1st gens are pretty much non existent here.

One for sale locally on Facebook 🤣 1994 Ford Explorer
Wow now I feel way better about spending $2k on my clean 94 sport
front.jpg

Paul
Love the rear wing windows on the 1st gen sports(found a bronco parking buddy)
rear.jpg

Yes siry bob I picked my 92 ploder up from my father after he bought it for 300 back in 09. Then he bought an engine from a 98 ranger. He told me if I put it in I can have it. Never gonna let it go
:) sorry couldn't resist

I picked up a 1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer about 6 months ago. Its only got 150,000 kms
(93,000 miles) but it sat through a few too many Canadian winters with little to no maintenance.
So I'm wrestling with rust and messed up u-joints and ball joints. This forum has been such a great resource for me!! There's still lots to go through and fix up.
I just need to grab new spindle bearings and start putting her back together. Cheers from the North, eh!!

I'm so glad I bought my Explorers when I did. My last first gen purchase was the Navajo I picked up in Frankfort KY, about 2.5 years ago. I've ever only seen one other one in person, nearly 12 years ago now.

This is the natural automotive progression. These vehicles have been cheap used transportation for the last 10 years like many other cars of the 90s and 2000s. Their low value usually makes it such that people won't fix them when they break and they just go buy another $1000 beater and junk it or leave it in the weeds.
The few first gens I've been seeing for sale lately have been in the neighborhood of $6 - $9k, which is more than twice what I paid for any of mine. Now they are beginning to be worth enough to fix and interest in early 90s vehicles in on the rise. With the Bronco revolution on the horizon, I look for B2 values to soar. The Explorer was the next gen Bronco 2, and people will begin to take notice of them in the next few years. Every car that was popular when new, will be popular classic cars later. It just takes about 35 years or so for the cycle to complete.

Our 68 mustang convertible is a perfect example of this. My dad bought it for $800 in 1974. It was just another used car at that time, like a 2012 honda or something would be today. We still have it today, I don't have to tell you what that car is in today's market. We wouldn't have it if we had to buy it today.
I hope you're correct. My '92 (146K) needs some work: paint, headliner, a couple of smaller rust spots and some other things. My wife and I bought it new and it's treated us well. Don't want to to junk it; hate to be a complete idiot to put money into it.

I hope you're correct. My '92 (146K) needs some work: paint, headliner, a couple of smaller rust spots and some other things. My wife and I bought it new and it's treated us well. Don't want to to junk it; hate to be a complete idiot to put money into it.

Here is a clean one out in Dallas TX...~100k Miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back