Where is the 2-stage a/c compressor located? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the 2-stage a/c compressor located?

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
When i was comparing my dads car and my car everything is the same, but cant seem to support 2-stage a/c compressor easier then the older generation explorer, if someone can take a picture of the location that would be awesome i alooking to install rear ceiling thats why and want to make sure the parts i order is correct...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you want factory rear ac?

its all all in lines, alot of plumbing, rear heater box, different quarter panel, and different ac.

where does the lines start from? where are they located under the hood, i just want to see what it looks like? thanks

should start at the evaporator and run down the firewall to the drivers side of the truck.

If I found a donor vehicle...what would be the parts i need to pull, I just want to make sure i have a complete part list, so i dont forget anything....thanks again

lines, headliner, rear quarter panel, body harness, overhead console, rear controls, front controls, more harnesses, just alot of stuff.

you also have to run heat since the rear box has an evaporator and heater lines.

probably 100% cheaper just installing an after market ac system for the rear.

what do you mean front controls, i already have front controls, when i looked at my dads overhead console he has rear controls

but do you know the specific part names for the lines cause i want to order the lines and evaporator, i have done the evaporator removal before on my 96 explorer and was fairly easy

rear ac vehicles will have in the first row, upper console controls for the rear, the same controls will be copied into the 2nd row of the overhead console.

so you need 2 controls, you also will need a different body harness, and a headliner harness and head liner.

not that i know of in explorers i havent seen those styles i know there one control in front for the rear, but the back doesnt have any?

I know the 96-2001 used be like that

3rd gen and 4th all have front controls for rear and the controls duplicate in the 2nd row,

3rd gen and 4th all have front controls for rear and the controls duplicate in the 2nd row,

I wish it was so.
I have the rear air and there are only controls for the rear air system in the front headliner. There are no controls for the passengers to reach to adjust in the back.
I am familiar with the system in other vehicles, but I do not remember seeing it on the Explorer/Mountaineer.
Mine is a 2008 Mountaineer Premier, so I cannot rule out that there was the option for the added controls.

If you have any pointers for me or a picture of the rear controls I would appreciate it. If it is in fact an option it may be possible to retrofit into what I have.

For the original poster, it is a rather ambitious project to add the rear air to the system. It is surely possible, but you have to change the rear trim, install head liners with ducts, fan, controls and the lines for heat and AC to the front. No small undertaking.

oh boy that is a huge job, the front evaporator canister is different. it has a T to supply ac to the rear evaporator core, also the rear has it own, heater core and blower motor, there is four pipes running to the front of the truck, 2 metal lines for the ac, and 2 rubber lines for the collent for rear heat, you might have to drop the gas tank, rears drive train, and who knows what else to snake in those lines. I myself tackel a lot of projects, but this one I would pass up, and probally trade in truck for a better equiped truck.

ah if taking out the gas tank then never mind about that, i thought it would lines you can push through they pillars to the ceiling....is there a number i can call and ask ford if my car is equiped with such lines and i can just do plug and play or calling ford would not do any help i wish i can get a blue print of my vehicle or buy one lol

Back