• Register Today It's free!

Where to buy?

jsampsell

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
New here. Just bought what was advertised as a factory radio for my wife's 96 explorer. Of course it wasn't. Thankfully I didn't spend a lot on it. I can't seem to find anywhere on the Internet to buy a factory radio with a cd player for the 96 explorer. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. Oh, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks

Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look on E-Bay..I've bought a factory 6 disc in dash changer, 2004 Mustang GT hood scoop and a Homelink overhead console from the seller lkqonline. All items were in very good shape. I think it's a nationwide series of salvage yards so you can go to their seller page and do a search for what your looking for.

Jeremy- is it the single CD player radio?

Scucci - thanks for the link. That's a little more than I wanted to put into this car but they do seem to have what I'm looking for.

Fyrfyter - I bought this one off eBay and I noticed lkq but they didn't have anything. I'll keep watching them. Thanks.

Joe Dirt - Great movie. But about the radio....the one I bought is the single CD player. It doesn't have the correct connector. The tape player that's in the truck has a long horizontal plug and a smaller square plug. The CD radio that I bought has two slightly larger connectors.

There's usually a few people parting out Explorers of each generation in the For Sale forum on here. There's also people who pull their factory systems out for a full aftermarket system and don't want to keep the factory stuff around.

You can probably score the factory setup from someone on here with a '95+ for a LOT less than you would pay online.

Post in the wanted section of the For Sale forum, and inquire in parting out threads if they have the stereo you're looking for. It may take some time, but the savings are probably worth it.

Before I went aftermarket, I bought another factory head unit to replace my failing one on here. Online they cost hundreds. I got it for 20 bucks. Went aftermarket instead, so I sold it to another member on here for the same 20 bucks.

Jeremy- it is a ******* radio. I had one that I put in my '95.

I think you had this one: http://oem-auto-accessory.com/f78f_18c815_am_fm_cd_p100_system_1993_up.html

If you have green dashlights vs. blue, you probably have the sister unit: http://oem-auto-accessory.com/f78f_18c815_am_fm_cd_p100_system_1993_up.html

They were also found in some Rangers, but didn't have rear controls. try www.car-part.com and you can search for the part number... I gave up and bought a $100 Pioneer with a green display to match my truck. (I swapped from the ice blue to the green dashlights in my truck)

I'll sell you mine :)

I have a factory radio for a 96

Anime - Thanks for the recommendation. I forgot that a lot of forums have For Sale/Want sections.

Joe - I actually have the tape player radio and want to get the CD player radio. Good info about the CD player versions though. That's apparently what happened to me. I think the guy on eBay assumed that because they looked the same they would both fit the Explorer and Ranger. Oh well. I just don't want to spend a ton on the truck. It's my wife's and she could care less about sound quality. She just doesn't have any tapes and is now wanting to listen to books on CD on her way to work. I've tried the FM transmitter option with her iPod shuffle but here in Atlanta there really aren't enough open frequencies for that to work well. I've looked at the tape player connector to the iPod too but the tape player doesn't seem to like any of them that I try. I've taken them all back. So, I either buy an OEM CD player radio or a really cheap aftermarket radio. I'm pursuing this route first because it's so much easier to just unplug connectors and then plug them back in to another.

Przybysz - Is yours the CD player with the long vertical connector? If so, PM me and let me know what you want for it. Also, if you can take a quick picture of the connectors so that I know for sure, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully Przbysz's radio works! If not, the Ranger radio will also work, but the rear controls will not work (if that matters) but as long as the plugs line up, you'll be fine.

For everyone's curiosity and possible links for the future,

This (factory from my '95) is what you have:

Feb08_0003.jpg

This (installed in my '95) is what you want:

Dec31_0002.jpg

These are the connectors you need on the back of the radio to work in your Ex:

100_4940.jpg

This is a bunny with a pancake on it's head:

oolong.jpg

Joe - Thank you. That's exactly right. You even got the bunny with the pancake correct. Man you're good.

I'll post a picture of it when i get home :)

I cut the wires to get it out but i think you should be able to solder them back in.

Joe - Thank you. That's exactly right. You even got the bunny with the pancake correct. Man you're good.

:D

Always trying to be helpful and funny at the same time. It continually got me in trouble while in school... :p:

Oh man. I accidently threw it out about a month ago.

Sorry :(

No problem Przbysz. I'm not the best at soldering anyway. Thanks for thinking about it. I'll check the For Sale/Want section and keep watching eBay.

Just make sure they show you the connectors on the back so you're armed with the knowledge before eBaying... The part numbers are also listed above- try car-part.com and you will probably get it for less than eBay. It's a junkyard/recycler indexing site, and the people that list parts will ship them... Great resource. :thumbsup:

Back