• Register Today It's free!

Which cleaner for which part?

lmacmil

Reaction score
City, State
South Bend, Ind
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4-dr V-6
Been reading the posts of cleaning intake/fuel system parts. My '96 has new plugs and wires but doesn't idle as smoothly as I think it should. Never had the TB or anything else cleaned or replaced. I seem to recall the shop manual saying don't use solvents to clean the TB. I see some posts about spraying TB cleaner in the TB and carb cleaner for the MAS (or is it MAF)? Can someone tell me what to use (or not to use) on the various intake system components that should be cleaned periodically?

Your safest bet is air intake system cleaner for both. This stuff evaporates readily, is generally O2 sensor friendly and doesn't leave a residue behind.

Removing the intake tube on my '92 reveals a decal with the "don't clean" warning. Ford has a bypass that fits between the IAC and the intake though I have yet to find a Ford dealer in my area that even appears to have heard of them.

I used the air\intake cleaner on my 94 and it worked great...you will probably have to do a lot of spraying so work in a well ventilated area....for real. That stuff will creep up on you. Its not the stuff to get a buzz off of.

Back