Which cold air intake system is better | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which cold air intake system is better

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I am planning to add a cold air intake for 12hp and sound. Which one is better, the Mdesignperformance fiber cold air intake or K@N Cold air intake?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will not gain any power from an intake without a tune. The stock ECU tuning manages torque to a preset value, regardless what you bolt on.
Even with a tune, I am not sure there is any point.. Just my opinion:
1. They are not really "cold" without modifications, such as insulation, etc.. By design, they all allow in tons of hot under hood air.
2. They will not filter as good as a stock filter.
3. I can't really hear much of a difference in sound.
4. I have a tune, but no idea if there is any power increase. Even if there is, it is not something one would feel in a 5k lb vehicle.
5. The dealer is not going to like seeing it when you bring the vehicle in for service.

You will not gain any power from an intake without a tune. The stock ECU tuning manages torque to a preset value, regardless what you bolt on.
Even with a tune....

All of this is true. While there is much "debate" on the internet about the validity of a CAI here are some facts:
your engine is an air pump
more air + more fuel=power
more air in means that you need more air out

Like slicky said all of this means ZERO without a tune. We have had several (primarily SHO clients) spend hours testing stock VS aftermarket. We have tested stock VS the ever popular MDesign and our Windstorm CAI. Typically you will see gains of ~7-10hp in upgrading to our CAI (with no other mods) over the stock box. We have seen vehicles that came in with the MDesign installed, and we switched the owners over to our Windstorm after having seen gains of 22whp on one car and 16whp on another.

Here is the dyno graph of a FBO SHO of ours that was featured in several national publications.

Curtis%20Haley%20SHO_zpsfb3ebgmu.png

You can clearly see where the restriction of their CAI lies. There are spots at low-end, mid range and then again at the top of the RPM band.

I know by installing cai it will be 5-7HP gain at best, but I wanted the engine to sound a little better. I am surprised Slicky mentioned that he does not hear any difference in sound. I watched several u tube videos and the sound was noticeably better but they were older models of Sport, not the 2016 one.

You will probably see less than that, to be honest. Unless you get a tune, especially if you are turbo'd. I dont have a sport but the NA V6 3.5L and it sounds awesome. Everyone says it sounds like a beast when I drive by or when they are a passenger. I have the K&N one because it has a C.A.R.B cert so I can leave it on for smog here in California.

I believe if you are turbo'd and you put a CAI on without a tune, you will run rich and burn out your turbo's. Could be wrong but it makes sense since the system is calibrated to read the flow of the OEM air box.

I know by installing cai it will be 5-7HP gain at best, but I wanted the engine to sound a little better. I am surprised Slicky mentioned that he does not hear any difference in sound. I watched several u tube videos and the sound was noticeably better but they were older models of Sport, not the 2016 one.

You won't run rich and burn out your turbo's. I've actually never heard that. If anything it would lean the truck out due to the added air flow, and it is debatable if a CAI even adds air flow anymore.

If you get a CAI don't expect any noticeable gains. The truck will adjust the the change in airflow and probably run the same, or some have even noticed a power loss with an aftermarket CAI.

I want to get one just for the sound benefit on the Sport. I can barely hear the turbo's and would like to see if a CAI will give me a little more sound. I'll probably go with the MDesign CAI when I make the move.

A tune would allow you to take advantage of any added airflow that a CAI might add.

You won't run rich and burn out your turbo's. I've actually never heard that. If anything it would lean the truck out due to the added air flow, and it is debatable if a CAI even adds air flow anymore.

If you get a CAI don't expect any noticeable gains. The truck will adjust the the change in airflow and probably run the same, or some have even noticed a power loss with an aftermarket CAI.

I want to get one just for the sound benefit on the Sport. I can barely hear the turbo's and would like to see if a CAI will give me a little more sound. I'll probably go with the MDesign CAI when I make the move.

A tune would allow you to take advantage of any added airflow that a CAI might add.

Good point Fentress24. I have read CAI topics on this forum but I have never heard about turbos burning out. I just cant find any video's posted with 16 XP Sport with CAI on it. I live in the mix of NY and even can't really experience the full power of it but it the sound is just too smooth and does not sound too loud when I accelerate and maneuver around traffic here. Power is there, but I just can't hear that true sound that the XP Sport is capable of.
I am not sure if I would need any more torque, HP..tunes, because it is one of the most powerful trucks, cars out there against the usual cars and trucks on the road and for daily city driving. I guess I just want that growl from eco boost twin turbo. I wont be on the track, but on the street, I just want them know that I am here. Eco boost engine in Sport is amazing but I guess i just cant hear that growl. I am so far satisfied with the 365 HP, 350 torque.

e2
Good point Fentress24. I have read CAI topics on this forum but I have never heard about turbos burning out. I just cant find any video's posted with 16 XP Sport with CAI on it. I live in the mix of NY and even can't really experience the full power of it but it the sound is just too smooth and does not sound too loud when I accelerate and maneuver around traffic here. Power is there, but I just can't hear that true sound that the XP Sport is capable of.
I am not sure if I would need any more torque, HP..tunes, because it is one of the most powerful trucks, cars out there against the usual cars and trucks on the road and for daily city driving. I guess I just want that growl from eco boost twin turbo. I wont be on the track, but on the street, I just want them know that I am here. Eco boost engine in Sport is amazing but I guess i just cant hear that growl. I am so far satisfied with the 365 HP, 350 torque.

13432319_10207972193356991_4751066260290370677_n.jpg

13406864_10207972193917005_8146158708292407150_n.jpg

I'm happy w/my MDesign Performance CF unit. I chose it over others due to the fact that it was CF, honestly. I don't care about the lack of a couple HP from choosing another "better" intake. For me, with my Ingot Silver truck, and the CF/Billet theme I'm seeking - it works! And, you do hear more suction noise, yet not a ton (in comparison, my Ecoboost Mustang has a JLT CAI and it's obnoxious at the increase in sound, lol), and we did VTA the factory BOV's so you hear them, too.

Going to look into that MDesign Performance CF, from reading about it, it sound like it is made to keep the heat out, maybe this with a combination of aftermarket exhaust will sound good. The power is there for XP Sport but I just can't hear the turbos spooling enough.

Going to look into that MDesign Performance CF, from reading about it, it sound like it is made to keep the heat out, maybe this with a combination of aftermarket exhaust will sound good. The power is there for XP Sport but I just can't hear the turbos spooling enough.

Do you have your factory bov's converted over to vent to atmosphere (VTA)? That's always a nice sound addition, too. No exhaust for me, but do have a custom tune and the truck is balls fast now!

Do you have your factory bov's converted over to vent to atmosphere (VTA)? That's always a nice sound addition, too. No exhaust for me, but do have a custom tune and the truck is balls fast now!

Yeah, i am not looking for that Pffff noise when you lift the throttle under boost and it keeps making that noise. I am looking into that Rrrrr sound.

Another mdesign fan here....sort of. I went with the M because I'm a carbon fiber junkie and I prefer the direct straight line of flow from grill into system. Love the look. Love the sound. Love the more crisp throttle response. I feel it is a great match for my LMS tune.
That being said........I do have an issue with the grill inlet connector. It is about 1.5" too far to the right. This causes an alignment issue which results in the filter housing making contact with the oem battery and negative cables. This also results in a crookedness that just doesn't look professional. The reason I love carbon fiber is the professional appearance when it is installed correctly. In addition to the lack of straight in shot that I was really hoping for, the adaptor itself does not line up perfectly with the opening in the grill when installed as instructed. I was able to use washers as shims to bring the adaptor close to the factory position but the shims were a pita to place and will need to be restacked during filter cleaning in the future. If the round portion of the adaptor was simply moved to the left about an inch, everything would be perfectly straight, and be a simple and professional drop in installation. Actually, if a redesigned adaptor was used to provide a straight line setup, there would be enough room to increase the diameter of the filter carrier by an additional 1-2 inches.

Aside from my **** retentive nit picking this is really a nice system and I totally love everything else about it.

20160723_172614_zpszje5wyou.jpg

Another mdesign fan here....sort of. I went with the M because I'm a carbon fiber junkie and I prefer the direct straight line of flow from grill into system. Love the look. Love the sound. Love the more crisp throttle response. I feel it is a great match for my LMS tune.
That being said........I do have an issue with the grill inlet connector. It is about 1.5" too far to the right. This causes an alignment issue which results in the filter housing making contact with the oem battery and negative cables. This also results in a crookedness that just doesn't look professional. The reason I love carbon fiber is the professional appearance when it is installed correctly. In addition to the lack of straight in shot that I was really hoping for, the adaptor itself does not line up perfectly with the opening in the grill when installed as instructed. I was able to use washers as shims to bring the adaptor close to the factory position but the shims were a pita to place and will need to be restacked during filter cleaning in the future. If the round portion of the adaptor was simply moved to the left about an inch, everything would be perfectly straight, and be a simple and professional drop in installation. Actually, if a redesigned adaptor was used to provide a straight line setup, there would be enough room to increase the diameter of the filter carrier by an additional 1-2 inches.

Aside from my **** retentive nit picking this is really a nice system and I totally love everything else about it.

20160723_172614_zpszje5wyou.jpg
Looks good. Its showing as a summer sale, 20 percent off, $271. My only concern is the installation you mentioned. I usually try to install everything myself, at least things that are plug and play but when you mentioned that grill intel connector is 1 1/2" to the side, I hope I can connect it myself without running into any issues.

Looks good. Its showing as a summer sale, 20 percent off, $271. My only concern is the installation you mentioned. I usually try to install everything myself, at least things that are plug and play but when you mentioned that grill intel connector is 1 1/2" to the side, I hope I can connect it myself without running into any issues.
I think u should be okay. It is mostly cosmetic, and if you install everything while leaving all the clamps loose, you will be able to push the unit away from the battery and then tighten the clamps. I actually used a big cable tie to pull every thing towards the engine and after all the clamps were tight I removed the tie and it stayed in place.

For me, it just drives me crazy to to see something so nice and the install not be perfect.

Good luck.

I put on a K&N CAI on my 3.5L N/A a while back not because it would give me any power increase but, to clean up and open up the area where the old system was installed. The K&N looks good as well. I have read the comments on the virtues of adding such systems and I agree up to a point. The underhood temp on the Ex is amazingly hot and the K&N design does nothing to change that. In fact, I believe the K&N system is a half-azzed design as it obviously does nothing to keep the hot air away from the filter to any degree. Therefore, the CAI part is rendered useless. However, there is hope for a remedy I'm working on with designing an insulated box to isolate the filter from the hot air. At present I have a template in place to develop the design and when I have the dimensions needed, I will construct this box out of either stainless sheet metal or aircraft aluminum. Whether it contributes any to performance is neither here nor there with me. I also have a LMS tune and it has performed well in other areas not normally discussed but, important to me none the less. Another option I'm considering is lowering the underhood temp by using some sort of venting. Either by louvered vents on the hood or fender mounted side vents but, that's in the infant stage at this point.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry Guys.
Gonna have to post a retraction about how happy i was with the mdesign CAI. Right after my post my air inlet broke off and all my pretty filter does now is guzzle hot ass air from the underhood area. When i park and go inside a store for a few minutes here in hot ass Florida, my underhood temps are so baad i now have a wicked stumble that takes about 4-5 minutes to settle down after hot restarts. Never did it till the inlet broke. Couldn't call mdesign as they have no number posted anywhere. Spent the last 6 months emailing mdesign only to have two emails answered, both telling me that a replacement would be there soon. All other emails were not answered. I even offered to pay for it and its expedited shipment a few times so i would hopefully have had it before vacations in the explorer.

Dunno what to do now. As far as i know, that was the only filter that was def cold air only.

Anyone got any ideas, I'm all ears.

PS....sorry if anyone else is in the same boat as I'm in due to my first impression and initial favorable review.

Thanks in advance for any n all help with finding another true CAI.

Back