Which is better? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which is better?

Not just a coincidence. Given that all the work is done by self and catching sales at auto parts stores, the expense of my 3K interval is minimal compared to having this done at a shop for 1/2 dozen cars and more frequent changes would never hurt. I will admit that I let some go to 5K interval when using synthetic. So, in response to OP, use them both.
Technically my cost is less, with the exact same results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you really want to learn about your filter’s life, cut it open (use a punch and shears, pipe cutter, or a purpose built filter cutter so you don’t contaminate it) and take a look.

I change my oil at 5k and my filter media has almost nothing in it.

You could probably run a filter for 20k or more, but to me it isn’t worth the few bucks I save.

Obviously a finer filter will clog up faster.
I changed the filter at 10k and dumped in one quart.

IMO, oil change intervals are also dependent on which engine you are running. Older engines are more forgivable to longer service intervals. Once the VVT engines showed up long OCIs had consequences. One engine where this is true is the 5.4L 3V. They will crap the bed as soon as 100k miles if 5k oil changes, or less, aren't done. The VVT solenoids clog and starve the valve train of oil. Then very bad things happen. The 4.6L 3V engines aren't as sensitive as the 5.4L 3V but susceptible to the same issues. Most modern day engines have varying types of VVT systems and are susceptible too. Also, turbocharged engines benefit a great deal from frequent oil changes. Especially the small displacement ones that are thrashed constantly.

I changed the filter at 10k and dumped in one quart.
I use Mobil1 oil and filters in everything. Have seen many U-tubers cut filters apart, seems one manufacturer make filters for many "brands" but there are some differences even there, made to order? Fram also does this, many differences between some. The cost of a any filter seems small to me compared to the costs of overall ownership to someone as picky as I am.
When I change oil I always drop in half a quart when the draining slows to a drip. What comes out is dark at first then changes to light. Except for the Subaru it needs 3/4 quart, funny flat motors. :)

The filters are all kinda the same so I'd just run a Bosch 3500 or my fave motorcraft fl1a
1641355626371.png

Back