Which lift is BEST ?

UK Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
UK 2001 4.0 V.6 4x4
Ok,

Being in the UK I have limited ways of getting the parts needed to carry out a lift, so I want to do it right first time !

Forgeting which is cheapest or more expensive for a minute, I want to put 33's with a 5.5 - 6" list on my Ex. I want to have max ground clearance as i intend to use it !

I have read about SOA, shackles, bodylift, supension list, skyjacker, superlift until I am dizzy :confused:

Dont want to do a a SAS, so after that what is BEST :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone ? :cool:

2" tt(free, plus an alinment), shackles(60), and a 3" bl(150), to fit the 33's thats the cheepest way....the superlift 4" kit costs 1500.....so its up to you how much you want to spend

I don't think there is really a "best" lift for your Explorer. If you spend the $$$ on the full 4" suspension lift, the Superlift is better than the Trailmaster but both are good. Other than that any lift is good as long as you don't crank up the Torsion bars a much more than ~2-2.5", b/c you put more stress on the CVs. Good luck :)

so is a 4" superlift with a 2 or 3" bodylift better than the rest ?...what about SOA ?

It would be to much of a hassle to do a SOA cause your gonna have to get only the front part of the superlift kit send overseas and if something isnt right your either gonna have to send it back or wait longer to get it to you. Just go with the 4" Superlift kit. Crank the torsion bars for another extra inch or 2 at the most, throw some shackels on and your fitting 33's.

I would have to say that the best off the shelf lift kit would have to be the "SkyJacker Class 2" with the extended radius arms, and replacement rear leaf springs. if you want tougher stuff than you will be looking at the camburg cut and turned beams, and radius arms.

I think you would be quite well off with the skyjacker setup though

kpgli84 said:
I would have to say that the best off the shelf lift kit would have to be the "SkyJacker Class 2" with the extended radius arms, and replacement rear leaf springs. if you want tougher stuff than you will be looking at the camburg cut and turned beams, and radius arms.

that may be good for 91-94 explorers, but we are talking about a 95+ explorer here :rolleyes:

kpgli84 said:

:confused: How do you get it on a 2001 X ? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, thats exactly what I am wanting to know, as pointed out I cant afford for it not to be the right part as it is going to cost me to send it over anyway. So Superlift is the best option ?...I have read on here that you can get a 5.5" Superlift kit for my EX, is that right ?...if so would this be the best ?

Wish I was over there :banghead: :confused:

UK Explorer said:
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I am wanting to know, as pointed out I cant afford for it not to be the right part as it is going to cost me to send it over anyway. So Superlift is the best option ?...I have read on here that you can get a 5.5" Superlift kit for my EX, is that right ?...if so would this be the best ?

Wish I was over there :banghead: :confused:
The 5.5" and 6" kits are only available for 91-94. If you have the $$$, then go for the 4" superlift kit to fit your truck. That is the best complete suspension kit.

Thanks, would I bodylift or tt and shackle for the extra 2 in ?

TT and shackle it for the extra inches.

Thanks. So Superlift for the 4" and TT and shackle for the rest :cool:

Couple of other questions then I'm done :D

What is the Superkit part number ?..what do you get ?

Warrior Shackles are WAR-153 ?

How will all this affect my self leveling supsension ?

What size wheels and spacing, I have 16" at the moment ?

Anything else I need ?

anyone :p

Pleaaassse....

Lots of people looking at topic, why no answers - I did say please :p

What have us UK owners got to do :rolleyes: :D

UK Explorer said:
What is the Superkit part number ?..what do you get?
K494 - For the specs on the kit, go to http://superlift.com/print/application_guide/kit-ford.pdf and scroll down to where it has your year Explorer.
UK Explorer said:
Warrior Shackles are WAR-153?
Yes
UK Explorer said:
How will all this affect my self leveling supsension?
I don't know anything about this
UK Explorer said:
What size wheels and spacing, I have 16" at the moment?
I'd get either 15x8s or 16x8s, depending on what tires your going with. Most people get 3.75" Backspacing (I did).

bmxking5 said:
K494 - For the specs on the kit, go to http://superlift.com/print/application_guide/kit-ford.pdf and scroll down to where it has your year Explorer.

Yes

I don't know anything about this

I'd get either 15x8s or 16x8s, depending on what tires your going with. Most people get 3.75" Backspacing (I did).

You are my hero :thumbsup:

Thanks, really helpful :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back