Which lug nuts to use? Aftermarket wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which lug nuts to use? Aftermarket wheels

I want to put a locking set of lug nuts on my DC-1's...don't know which ones I need for my 03 4X4...need to know what thread size and type I have? I see kits that have 1/2" x 20RH, 12mm x 20RH, etc.

Also any opinions on a good kit to get? I was thinking the Gorilla locking kit, something where each lug nut has to use the locking adapter rather than just 4 of the lugs needing the adapter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will tell you right now that the luh hole is a tight fit. The 4-way I have is thick to fit in the hole. I have to use a thin wall 13/16 spark plug socket to fit in the hole.

Your best bet is the star type lug nut. I know Advance & O'Reilly's sells them.

I assume your thread size is 1/2-20 but double check to make sure.

I will tell you right now that the luh hole is a tight fit. The 4-way I have is thick to fit in the hole. I have to use a thin wall 13/16 spark plug socket to fit in the hole.

Your best bet is the star type lug nut. I know Advance & O'Reilly's sells them.

I assume your thread size is 1/2-20 but double check to make sure.

I can always take a stock lug nut to Advance and see what size it is, but that would involve taking it off the vehicle, driving my other vehicle to the parts store, etc. I would like to order these today :) Can anyone confirm the 1/2" x 20 to be the right size?

Thanks for the heads up on the lug clearance. Are you using DC-1's as your wheel?

McGard's website shows 1/2-20 thread size.

http://www.mcgard.com/Applications/AutomotiveSearch

I would recommend the McGard brand, if it will work for your application.

McGard is what I have. There is nothing wrong with McGard but the way the lug holse are made you need a thin wall socket to have enough space to to get it to the lug hole.

I know this because I have the DC1 wheels & McGard lug & locks.

1/2 20 is what you will want

Thanks for the replies! I cannot find any McGard complete locking sets (where each lug uses the adapter) and this is what I really want, so I believe I am going to go with a set of Gorilla's I found at summitracing.com Thanks again for the help!

I've been using the Gorilla lock set for many years, and they are very good. I once lost the locking key in the snow, and ordered a new one from them. I saved the original package with the replacement key code number. Always save your important documentation in a place that you know where to find it when you need it.

Thanks for the replies! I cannot find any McGard complete locking sets (where each lug uses the adapter) and this is what I really want, so I believe I am going to go with a set of Gorilla's I found at summitracing.com Thanks again for the help!

Just curious on what you are looking at from SummitRacing...

The chrome ones are cheaper on Amazon.com, if you opt for those.

Back