• Register Today It's free!

Which V6 do I have?

quickblue

Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
Just bought a 99 X Sport, How do I know which 4.0 V6 it came with? The SOHC 205 HP or the OHC 160HP version? Its the basic sport with CC, automatic, tilt, CD Player everything else is basic. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Raise your hood, if you have a big plastic cover over the top of the engine saying you have a 4.0 SOHC, then you have a SOHC, if not then you have the OHV.

It looks like I have the turd OHV 160 HP version. DOH! Oh well. Seems to run okay, I just bought this 99 Explorer Sport with only 15,000 miles, super clean and quiet. Trying to see what options I have for this puppy. Thanks!

99 with 15,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!

I have 65,000, I read somewhere that Gerald is up in the 90's on his 99.

Yeah, its basically brand new. I Picked it up for $14,000 so I did pay alot of money for it. I was just curious what mods I could do for this thing, looks pretty good stock, I guess I'll leave it alone, wasn't sure about the engine version till now, thanks!

That might be alittle high, but not too terrible. Shoot, I still owe $22k on my truck. :(

Welcome to the site.

Originally posted by addkev
99 with 15,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!

I have 65,000, I read somewhere that Gerald is up in the 90's on his 99.
yes, but Gerald drives from NC to Moab just to wheel for a few days . . . :D

Yeah, he's the man, there's not alot of fathers that would move just to be closer to their son.

moab is worth every mile, and Gerald is a true die hard, without his spotting I would have been screwed in a couple spots. Talk about, buy an Explorer and beat the crap out of it! Thats the spirit!!!

Back