Which way does center console in rear open? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which way does center console in rear open?

barney6

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I just got my 2015 Explorer Sport with 2nd row bucket seats and center console. The handle to open the center console faces the rear of the car. So if you are sitting in the 2nd row you have to turn your whole body around to open it. It just seems wrong to me. Plus if you have drinks in the drink holder the console would open right into them.

So it occurred to me that the center console was an add on accessory. I am wondering if it was dealer installed and they messed it up.

If you have a center console in the second row does it open the same as the one in the front or is the latch and handle facing the rear of the car?

Mine opens the same way. I don't really care for it either, but I assume it is supposed to make a quasi table when it opens forward...

I hate not being able to reach back and open it as well.

If it opened toward the back then it would probably hit the knees of the people in the third row.

That's the correct way. It's like that to provide a flat load floor with all the seats folded flat and the console open. Plus it gives 3rd row passengers access to it. They need to redesign it like the Durango's, those ones open up both ways.

Back