• Register Today It's free!

Whining 05 Sport Trac 4x4

kcasey

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer Sport
So, my fiance purchased this new off the floor before i met her (or else she wouldnt have bought it tho it is growing on me lol
). Had a motor issue which required a new motor after 90k miles.. Anyways, while driving on a normal road, i dropped the rear window and hear this whining noise. Checked the transmission fluid and it was a little low, nothing major. Topped it off with Mercon V... No effect. Where do i look next. It does not have a tow package. Do i check the transfer case, or rear differential?. Im torn.. Im thinking differential because the transfer case is more upfront to where the noise is. you cant hear it with front windows down. Only the rear sliding window or rear passenger's windows.

thanks

So, my fiance purchased this new off the floor before i met her (or else she wouldnt have bought it tho it is growing on me lol
). Had a motor issue which required a new motor after 90k miles.. Anyways, while driving on a normal road, i dropped the rear window and hear this whining noise..

It Should have this after the above quoted

its not so much a whining noise as, say new off road tires, or studded tires.. Kind of like crossing onto the rumble strip in the road side, only no vibration and definitely not as loud.

You'll definitely hear more road/tire noise, and other sounds you don't otherwise hear, when the rear window is down. If you have a topper/shell on it, and maybe even just a cover, the noise gets amplified and channeled up into the truck. Is it possible that's all you're hearing? Noise coming through the rear window is hard to pinpoint where it's coming from, as you already know.

You'll definitely hear more road/tire noise, and other sounds you don't otherwise hear, when the rear window is down. If you have a topper/shell on it, and maybe even just a cover, the noise gets amplified and channeled up into the truck. Is it possible that's all you're hearing? Noise coming through the rear window is hard to pinpoint where it's coming from, as you already know.

Ive driven with the rear cab window down many times. The noise is something new... I got some great suggestions from replies on a few other sites i posted on. In a day or 2, I will post what ive done and result.

Thank you for that thought.

Back