Whining noise from engine compartment. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whining noise from engine compartment.

riverst

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Every time I press on the gas pedal, I hear this whining noise. So I thought its was some kind of ground loop. I checked all my grounds. no luck. Then I turn off the radio and the noise was still there. It wasnt coming from the speakers, it sound like it was coming from the engine compartment. I dont know what it may be. I think it might be the (OEM)Alternator or the (JBA)spark wires. Could that be a possibility.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can anybody help.

It's not the Ford Power Steering Whine©?

Could be the rare turbo-equipped engine.

haha real funny,
no it is not the power steering pump.
I notice today that i have a 4 gauge power wire zip tied to the throtle cable. its coming from the alt to the batery( Part of the BIG 3). Could the throttle cable pick up noise?

96limitedX said:
sounds like a rear end whine.

Maybe he has one of those ultra rare fords with the engine in the rear? :D and sorry i have no clue what could be causing the whine sorry :(

how are your voltage readings and alternator outputs? Check that. Also, have someone step on the gas a little bit and search around the engine compartment yourself to see if you can locate it. Could be the alternator, or the idler pulley / tensioner

George

ions said:
Maybe he has one of those ultra rare fords with the engine in the rear? :D and sorry i have no clue what could be causing the whine sorry :(

lol no my moms rear end whine comes through in the front alot.

after thinking about it. it sounds exactly like when my idler pully started to go. it whined and i could hear it inside pretty bad. new one is only $30 and it may save you from sitting on the side of the road when it finally goes.

Is it SOHC? I know DOHC gears can whine, but no too sure on the SOHC

Back