whistle sound | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whistle sound

The whistle I hear is not at highway speeds.
I hear it first thing in the morning after I leave the driveway and drive up my street. By the time I get to the stop sign 12 houses away and make a left, I don't hear it any more. Definitely sounds tranny related to me as it sounds like its under the floor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a whistle noise and suspected almost everything including the right side wheel bearings. Mine sounded like it was everywhere including the moon roof. After trying everything else the noise (while probably not any louder, but me becoming more aware) was found to be the gas cap. If I adjusted the cap just a little, it would either quit or get louder. I treated the rubber seal with Armoral and it stopped. Nothing for about 6 months now.

I had a whistle noise and suspected almost everything including the right side wheel bearings. Mine sounded like it was everywhere including the moon roof. After trying everything else the noise (while probably not any louder, but me becoming more aware) was found to be the gas cap. If I adjusted the cap just a little, it would either quit or get louder. I treated the rubber seal with Armoral and it stopped. Nothing for about 6 months now.

Now that is figgin amazing!.. how in the world did you put those 2 together?:thumbsup:

Did your "check gas cap" light come on? Mine has started coming on despite resetting it with a code reader. Comes on every 2 weeks or so. Do these things wear out or is this some other kind of fuel system issue?

ok guys im willing to BET $$$ that i have found the answer to this annoying Whistle.

i was getting ready to clean the TB on the EX.. took off the TB, when i noticed a small spacer behind the TB, it was about 1/4" thick, and is hidden from view untill u remove the Throttle Body. the spacer had all these little plastic veins i guess to stop turbulence from the HUGE EGR tube that is dead center of the intake Neck.

the spacer is a piece of junk, and im just waiting for one of the small plastic veins to get ingested by the motor.

No lights... just a whistle. I seemed to notice it worse just after filling and that's what led me there.

Back