Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
@Reino

Optimally, bring it in, record the complaint with the Service Advisor, and leave it with them.

I think we all know what will result from this ;) BUT if the problem becomes worse (or catastrophic), nobody can point the finger at you and say; "Well, if you had brought it in and let us inspect it we could have caught it"....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New/reman transmission in my 2020 Explorer ST after 16,000 mostly highway miles. F clutch pack burnt out and no explanation why. 2 months in the shop waiting for parts. I see this tale of woe is common. Stay far away from this transmission.

No issues on my 2021, at least not yet. No issues on my 2018 F150 yet either.

No issues on my 2021, at least not yet. No issues on my 2018 F150 yet either.
I had no issues either until one day when my wife was driving home on the highway I received a text saying powertrain failure. When she got home she said it lost power and when I tried to move it it wouldn't go into reverse. A quick search of 2020 Explorer transmission failures will show how relatively common this is at low mileages. Maybe its just the 10R60 in the Explorer? Maybe just an overdrive shifting issue due to a sticking valve? Who knows, but this lease will go back to the dealer for sure at the end. I have no trust in it to drive it anywhere now. The ST is supposed to be a performance vehicle.

New/reman transmission in my 2020 Explorer ST after 16,000 mostly highway miles. F clutch pack burnt out and no explanation why. 2 months in the shop waiting for parts. I see this tale of woe is common. Stay far away from this transmission.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you know for sure if it was a new transmission? I can see that a remanufactured one might be more prone to failure. I hope that they at least put you in a loaner.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you know for sure if it was a new transmission? I can see that a remanufactured one might be more prone to failure. I hope that they at least put you in a loaner.

Peter
It says reman on the shop invoice so I assume it is rebuilt. The dealer can't tell me if they have upgraded any parts that relate to the cause. No loaner and continued lease payments. So double the cost if one needs to rent something. Luckily my company had an extra vehicle to borrow. I will wait to see how this issue plays out for others in the coming years. Hopefully mine isn't back in the shop this time next year....

I had no issues either until one day when my wife was driving home on the highway I received a text saying powertrain failure. When she got home she said it lost power and when I tried to move it it wouldn't go into reverse. A quick search of 2020 Explorer transmission failures will show how relatively common this is at low mileages. Maybe its just the 10R60 in the Explorer? Maybe just an overdrive shifting issue due to a sticking valve? Who knows, but this lease will go back to the dealer for sure at the end. I have no trust in it to drive it anywhere now. The ST is supposed to be a performance vehicle.

The 10 speed is shared with a lot of cars. Not only the explorer. Although the trans tune is different depending on car. My friend has a camaro ss with the 10 speed and it is smooth like butter. No herky jerky on downshifts or lunging when putting it into gears etc.

My XLT is slowly getting worse at approaching 5k miles. A basically brand new car and i refuse to take random drives for stress relief just because i'm afraid all of a sudden something will just break, out of nowhere.

I'm contacting various "dealers" to see if they can help me get out of this lease. I don't even know if i can wait 2 more years. It's such a shame, i was a huge fan of the explorer for years now :(

You can try to get someone to take over the lease. That's what I did when the 2011 came out and I still had 2+ years left on my 2009 Highlander lease.
You can also try to sell it. All Ford credit wants is the agreed upon payout.

Peter

There's several independent dealers by me that's willing to buy out my lease but i know how they work. I would probably have to purchase a car from them in exchange. I'll have to contact them to find out. I honestly don't have it in me to find someone i know to take over my lease. Knowing how it is. And swapalease is a pain lol.

Weren't there people on here that was contacted by ford on trading their lease early, for another lease without issues?

I remember reading a post here where a guy had a 2020 ST and the dealer called him on a 2021 ST and see if he wanted to exchange and the guy did it.

Maybe he'll post here so i can PM him for more info on that lol. Maybe the 2021's are better, or perhaps the 2022.

Herky jerky, hunts for gears, is in the wrong gear when you punch it and generally is perfectly suited to this car which does nothing correctly.

The only thing that pleases me is the seat cooler, which works really well, possibly because the passenger seat doesn’t work at all?

Herky jerky, hunts for gears, is in the wrong gear when you punch it and generally is perfectly suited to this car which does nothing correctly.

The only thing that pleases me is the seat cooler, which works really well, possibly because the passenger seat doesn’t work at all?

Putting it in sport mode does help A LITTLE BIT with the shift harshness, mainly on the downshifts.

It just sucks when you put it in sport, then shut the car off, when you turn it back on it will default to normal.

The explorer is amazing to drive on the highway. So smooth, quiet and relaxing. As soon as the trans has to do any work, is when you actually start to hate the car.

Sport mode is just too damn noisy! If I can ever disembowel that FENG I’ll be a lot happier.

The 10 speed is shared with a lot of cars. Not only the explorer. Although the trans tune is different depending on car. My friend has a camaro ss with the 10 speed and it is smooth like butter. No herky jerky on downshifts or lunging when putting it into gears etc.

My XLT is slowly getting worse at approaching 5k miles. A basically brand new car and i refuse to take random drives for stress relief just because i'm afraid all of a sudden something will just break, out of nowhere.

I'm contacting various "dealers" to see if they can help me get out of this lease. I don't even know if i can wait 2 more years. It's such a shame, i was a huge fan of the explorer for years now :(
The 10R60 version of the transmission is only in Explorers (and now in the Bronco). Not sure if the issues are only found with that version.....

The 10R60 version of the transmission is only in Explorers (and now in the Bronco). Not sure if the issues are only found with that version.....
The specs sheet shows 10R60 (IND=A) in my Aviator.

Peter

Sport mode is just too damn noisy! If I can ever disembowel that FENG I’ll be a lot happier.
I would rather put in a Borla exhaust system and enjoy a real productive exhaust note!

Hello, New to the forum, but just bought my 5th Ford Explorer a '21 LTD.

Although an entirely different engine and transmission, my 2006 XLT had a shifting problem when cold only. During the 1-2 shift, it would feel jerky like I was stabbing the throttle on and off quickly. After about a mile or so and slightly warmed up, it would not happen again until the next warm up cycle. The fix was a PCM reflash, but heres the kicker. The first reflash cured the problem for about a week. Took it back and they did it again, and the problem never returned. I would contact the dealer.

Also, some modern cars retard the timing during shifts to reduce emissions, mainly HC, which can feel like an interruption in engine power. This is usually felt more during heavier throttle applications. You may be feeling some of this and it may be separate from the problems you describe.

Welcome to the Forum EXFAN. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm talking about the 10 speeds in general. It's the same transmission. Both ford and GM have altered the 10 speed to suit their needs, depending on the vehicle.

But the 10 speeds in GM products are so much superior for some reason and i've read ford developed the 10 speed first?

Back