Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I do get the occasional jerky shift. Sometime hard. I mean that thing drops!

If i don't see 2 bars on the temp gauge, the trans i know will be herky jerky. These cold mornings during the winter, i'll get 1 or 2 bars on the coolant gauge but the RPM's are still around 1200-1300rpm and the idle didn't drop yet. As soon as i put it into D, i have to plant my foot on the brake because the car will actually jerk foward. The trans literally DROPS into gear and the car squats as if it wants to launch and take off. It's really annoying.

2-3 upshift is really bad if the trans is cold. Once warmed up, all upshifts are fine.

And doesn't matter on temp, the 2-1 downshift lunges like CRAZY. I can not for the life of me, drive it to where the 2-1 downshift will be smooth. It's really bad.

If 22's are available this summer i'll ask to drive one. If it's better, i'll consider leasing another explorer (ST only though).

If not, time to find a low mileage 392 durango.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i don't see 2 bars on the temp gauge, the trans i know will be herky jerky. These cold mornings during the winter, i'll get 1 or 2 bars on the coolant gauge but the RPM's are still around 1200-1300rpm and the idle didn't drop yet. As soon as i put it into D, i have to plant my foot on the brake because the car will actually jerk foward. The trans literally DROPS into gear and the car squats as if it wants to launch and take off. It's really annoying.

2-3 upshift is really bad if the trans is cold. Once warmed up, all upshifts are fine.

And doesn't matter on temp, the 2-1 downshift lunges like CRAZY. I can not for the life of me, drive it to where the 2-1 downshift will be smooth. It's really bad.

If 22's are available this summer i'll ask to drive one. If it's better, i'll consider leasing another explorer (ST only though).

If not, time to find a low mileage 392 durango.
Mine behaves very similarly. I suspect they all do, but some people are more aware of it than others.

Have you ever brought it up to your dealership? I always complain about it when I am in. I have had 2-3 PCM updates over the past year and half. Mine is much much better than when it was new. Got rid of the 2-1 downshift clunk when coming toward a stop. But I still wouldn't describe it overall as good or refined.

I've had my 2020 for about 8 months now and Ive had dealer look at it twice for transmission issues. Issues they say are not there.
Ive got the 'Limited' and a lot of times its as if the transmission is in the wrong gear at low speeds.
If I'm driving in the city and speed limit lowers, I let off the gas and let car slow down then apply gas to that speed. But the entire car will shake and as its as if I'm in a really high gear. Imagine starting off in 5th gear on a manual from a stop. Is this really normal? Ive even had it happen on freeway if I slow down then apply gas a little.
Dealer had my car for a week (I know they only got to it the day I got it back) and tell me nothing is showing up. Unfortunatly I wasnt able to produce issue with mechanic as dealer is in busy area and I cant really joy ride because of all the traffic in the area. So hard to reproduce for them unless I kidnap them on a 10 mile drive somewhere.
Not normal and don't let them tell you it is. I bought my Explorer in May 2020. I noticed within a week issue with the transmission. Went to the dealer and did a ride-along with a tech. He said it was because I'm an aggressive driver. The dealer wouldn't check the vehicle in for service based on this. The issue got worse and worse. Fast forward to January 2021 and guess what.... transmission issues. My vehicle has been in the shop since January 6, torn down with transmission and electrical issues. I've been fighting Ford the entire time. Keep going to the dealer, make them check your vehicle in, get it documented, ride with them and do not let them back away from this. My dealer has owned the 20 and 21 Explorer has transmission issues. You'll read about many that do. I have a 2021 loaner from the dealer and once I got over about 100 miles (they delivered it with just 48 miles), the jerking and hard shift issues started in that vehicle too. In fairness, I have three people in my office building that have 2020's and one with the XLT has the issue the other two have ST's and have not had the issue.

Ford really needs to own this as their problem instead of running from it. (based on my experience)

Mine behaves very similarly. I suspect they all do, but some people are more aware of it than others.

Have you ever brought it up to your dealership? I always complain about it when I am in. I have had 2-3 PCM updates over the past year and half. Mine is much much better than when it was new. Got rid of the 2-1 downshift clunk when coming toward a stop. But I still wouldn't describe it overall as good or refined.

If the car wasn't a lease, i'd be more inclined to pursue finding a solution to this issue.

Don't get me wrong though, the issue is there but perhaps my scenario isn't as severe as some here.

My trans doesn't clunk, or start off in the wrong gear, or slips or anything like that. It's just herky jerky when it's cold and the downshifts are horrendous. I can still do my commutes with zero issues. It's just not the smoothest ride like what i'm used to.

The trans acts as if it's low on fluid and/or someone didn't seat the torque converter onto the input shaft properly.

I only went to the dealer once since leaving them that night when i first leased it. And that was to pick up my free oil and oil filter since i do my own oil changes lol.

But when the weather gets better and i have more time i'll give them a call and inquire. If they allow me putting in "better" fluid, even if it's out of my own pocket, i will definitely do it. I still have 27 or 28 months left on the lease so i have a long way to go.

I have three people in my office building that have 2020's and one with the XLT has the issue the other two have ST's and have not had the issue.

Just sayin' - I believe that they are 2 different transmission models - so comparing apples and oranges.

XLT gets cheapie, ST gets the better, less trouble prone one.

Just sayin' - I believe that they are 2 different transmission models - so comparing apples and oranges.

I don't think that's accurate at all.

If anything, the only thing different would be the tune, not the actual unit.

And it's been recorded the ST's having issues as well if you search on this forum.

According to the Technical Specs Sheet, they all have the same 44T option code for the transmission with the exception being the Hybrid which is 44B.

Peter

Thanks for clearing that up, Peter.
Carry on -

If the car wasn't a lease, i'd be more inclined to pursue finding a solution to this issue.

Don't get me wrong though, the issue is there but perhaps my scenario isn't as severe as some here.

My trans doesn't clunk, or start off in the wrong gear, or slips or anything like that. It's just herky jerky when it's cold and the downshifts are horrendous. I can still do my commutes with zero issues. It's just not the smoothest ride like what i'm used to.

The trans acts as if it's low on fluid and/or someone didn't seat the torque converter onto the input shaft properly.

I only went to the dealer once since leaving them that night when i first leased it. And that was to pick up my free oil and oil filter since i do my own oil changes lol.

But when the weather gets better and i have more time i'll give them a call and inquire. If they allow me putting in "better" fluid, even if it's out of my own pocket, i will definitely do it. I still have 27 or 28 months left on the lease so i have a long way to go.

I agree there is a possibility some transmissions are under filled from the factory. My transmission cooler was updated as per the TSB. I had an older original cooler that was subject to leaking. When the trans cooler was changed, they added fluid. They also updated my PCM with the latest software available. The transmission behavior was improved quite a bit. I have one of the earliest first production vehicles, so I have experienced the changes from original software and a few versions in between.

There are also TSB's out there that instruct the dealer to change the transmission valve body if the software update attempts have not improved the performance. So they are aware of the issues and the noted fixes.

Have these issues been mitigated at all, now that we are nearing 2 years into the lifecycle of this model? The early build 2020s were awful, surely the 21s coming off of the assembly line now are better.

Have these issues been mitigated at all, now that we are nearing 2 years into the lifecycle of this model? The early build 2020s were awful, surely the 21s coming off of the assembly line now are better.
Mines a 2020 XLT with no issues...so far. Built in Feb 2020.

Look at the date of this, 9/13/19, much time has passed, most problems have been resolved.
TBill
I have almost 1,00o miles on my 21 xlt, build date 11/20 and trans. shifts fine. Very happy with the 10 speed although it sometimes does not downshift quickly enough. But that can be inherent to the 2.3. That is the main reason I wanted select shift so that I can use the paddle and downshift . This car ( suv?) is very enjoyable to drive. I say car because to me its a station wagon with 4wd

Going to test drive a '21 or possibly a '22 later this summer if they're available.

Will make my unbiased comparison when i do. My 20 does the job, but it's not smooth AT ALL.

But some people's take on "normal" varies from person to person. So keep that in mind.

Going to test drive a '21 or possibly a '22 later this summer if they're available.

Will make my unbiased comparison when i do. My 20 does the job, but it's not smooth AT ALL.

But some people's take on "normal" varies from person to person. So keep that in mind.
on my 21 you can barely feel the shifts in normal mode. Mine is , once again a 11/20 build so I think that you will be fine.

on my 21 you can barely feel the shifts in normal mode. Mine is , once again a 11/20 build so I think that you will be fine.

My 20 wasn't an early build (IE early early 20 or even late 19?), it was april/may 20 build i can't remember so any issues the 20's did have, i don't think i was apart of. Plus i checked the recall website to check if my VIN has any recalls attached to it. I check about once a month, last time i checked there wasn't any.

There's nothing wrong with my trans per say. Meaning it doesn't clunk, or start in the wrong gear or anything. It's just NOT smooth.

Cold driving forget it. The downshifts? Absolutely horrendous.

You pair the terrible downshifting with the electronic brakes we have and it makes issues and experiences so much worse.

Sometimes the bite on your brake pedal on your normal braking strength to come to a red light feels like 30-40%. Then sometimes it's 70-90%, on the same pressure you apply to your brake pedal.

The car almost takes a dive everytime you have to come to a complete stop. It's the worst.

I'll drive a '21 at least if i can't get a '22 and compare.

I've driven my Platinum about 1,000 now and the transmission hasn't improved at all. When the vehicle is warming up, first several miles, the transmission stalls when shifting from first to second, or at least it feels that way. Third is a little better. From fourth up it's fine. It's almost like the engine quits between gears thou that's not possible. It's just one more thing to frustrate me and make me sorry I invested all that money in a car that doesn't deserve to be on the streets. For the record the guy that sold the car to me doesn't disagree or argue that the problem doesn't exist. If there's another thread with the same issue move me. I couldn't find one using the search.
No transmission issues with mine, shifting has deftly improved after 1000 -2000 miles, try to get parameters/transmission reset by dealer and ask them to see if you have the latest software update.

I have an early-build (June 28, 2019) Platinum, and the transmission has been wonderful. Cold or warm, it upshifts and downshifts smoothly, seamlessly, and responsively. Haven't had any transmission reprogramming done since taking delivery on September 13, 2019, so not all early builds have issues. In fact, the only reason I returned to the dealer for warranty service was to have the original wiper blades replaced because they started smearing -- a common problem.

I have an early-build (June 28, 2019) Platinum, and the transmission has been wonderful. Cold or warm, it upshifts and downshifts smoothly, seamlessly, and responsively. Haven't had any transmission reprogramming done since taking delivery on September 13, 2019, so not all early builds have issues. In fact, the only reason I returned to the dealer for warranty service was to have the original wiper blades replaced because they started smearing -- a common problem.
I'm assuming you have the 3.0 in your platinum. Those seem to have less issues. There are hoards of 2.3 Explorers with failed or poorly performing units.
It seemed like a lot of botched early 2020 XLTs ended up at the rental company I worked for. Quickly, they were coming off of rent(sometimes on a tow truck) left and right with transmission leaks and shifting/performance issues. Hands down the most unreliable automobile I witnessed in 3 years of working there.

I'm assuming you have the 3.0 in your platinum. Those seem to have less issues. There are hoards of 2.3 Explorers with failed or poorly performing units.
It seemed like a lot of botched early 2020 XLTs ended up at the rental company I worked for. Quickly, they were coming off of rent(sometimes on a tow truck) left and right with transmission leaks and shifting/performance issues. Hands down the most unreliable automobile I witnessed in 3 years of working there.
I have a 2020 XLT. Nightmare! I said it was a bad transmission last June but dealer told me “I’m an aggressive driver” and that’s was the issue. Well I just got my car back last Monday after 79 days in the shop. Guess what? Bad transmission and electrical issues. This is the biggest mistake I’ve made. Things are falling apart inside not to mention the bigger issues. While I have my vehicle back and it’s not AS BAD as before, it’s still hard shifting, lunges and not worth the money. I had a 2021 XLT as a loner. For the record after just over 100 miles, similar transmission issues. Not a chance I’d ever buy another Ford. Now I’m driving around with warnings in all my windows while I fight Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2020 XLT. About once every few months when I put on the gas the whole truck will jerk really hard and make a loud thunk from the rear of the vehicle. I drive it really slow and then turn it off. Then I turn it back on and it drives fine for a few months. Then it happens again.

Back