• Register Today It's free!

why is my air bag light blinking?

Krzyboy2o

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport 2wd
just yesterday by airbag light (the yellow light right above my left blinker) turned on. at first while driving it started blinking. on then off. then while drive a couple of miles, the light stayed on permanently. is the light a service warning or is it just a loose connector? any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure its a warning light about somethin wrong with the airbag system. I'd have it checked at autozone or something, it should have thrown some kind of code

go out and kick your bumper real hard and see if they still work.

no im kidding
Ryan

i've already done that! and no they didnt pop out! haha! thanks guys.. keep it coming....

The light is on because there is a fault detected in the system. Any scanner hooked to the vehicle must be able to read Airbag codes, sadly most for the DIY'er don't read these codes. :( The units that do read Airbag codes (and many other things) are very expensive, they range from $2,000-$4,000. The Ford NGS, Snap-On MT2500 and OTC scanners are examples of machines that read airbag codes.

My advice would be get the vehicle scanned with the proper tool at a local garage ASAP to see what the problem is.

Good Luck!

$200 bucks for code flash!

just called ford dealer.. they said that they're gonna have to flash a code to determine the problem. the thing is... its gonna cost me $200 for that process. not including labor and repair. are there any alternatives before spending 200 bucks. thanks!

you can do like Homer Simpson did when his check engine light was on he put a pice of electrical tape over it.

Ryan

Try a different garage, that is a total ripoff.

Sadly, there is no way to get around it. Only certian scanners will read this type of code and there is no other way to access the information. I would call around though, that $200 is a damn joke.

I agree screw ford, go to autozone that have all that stuff and sometimes they will look at your car for free. or maybe you can rent one from them but probably not

Ryan

Originally posted by Ryan1
I agree screw ford, go to autozone that have all that stuff and sometimes they will look at your car for free. or maybe you can rent one from them but probably not

Ryan
I really doubt autozone has it. But, a large independent garage may have the expensive computer required to check it.

Your airbag light will flash a 2-digit diagnostics code in addition to the DTC that it set in memory. Start your Explorer, your light will come on, then when it goes off and then starts flasthing count the flashes. Post the 2-digit code and I should be able to tell you what it stands for. Autozone will not have the proper scanner to read the DTCs for a Ford air-bag fault.

Robert is right on the money.
With Ford aig bag systems it flashes the code for you.
You just need to know what the code means. The good news is unlike many cars once the problem is corrected the light will reset it's self.
Let me know if you need help once Robert tells you the problem. Although I have never done an air bag in an Explorer , I have done a few Fords like Focous , a work van and a Tarus.

Originally posted by MONMIX
. . .The good news is unlike many cars once the problem is corrected the light will reset it's self.. . .

The bad thing about Ford's SRS computer is it will not clear the code until it has seen 256 clear startups. Everytime you turn your key from off to on, the SRS computer goes through a self diagnostics routine. If it goes through it 256 times, it will clear the light. I sat in my garage a couple years ago turning my Explorer on and off 256 times to clear an air-bag code that I purposefully set (don't ask). Alright, I wanted to see if my scanner would see it (which it didn't) and whether or not disconnecting the battery would clear it (which it didn't). Two hours later it cleared after going through the on/off routine. I disconnected the emergency pump shut-off connector after about 20 sequences so that my fuel pump quit trying to pump.

i got the code!!

the code is 3-7. it blinks 3 times first then 7 times after.... what the problem?? thanks for the help!

You would have to post an LFC (light flash count) that wasn't part of my '97 system :( The ones from my '97 that are close though might give you direction to go. In '97 the codes that are similar are 32, 33, 34 & 35. They are as follows:

32 = driver side air bag module circuit high resistance or open
33 = passenger side air bag module circuit high resistance or open
34 = drivers side air bag module circuit low resistance or shorted
35 = passenger side air bag module circuit low resistance or shorted.

I'm not sure if side air bags were an option yet in '99. If they were, it is probably related to the passenger side, side impact air bag module. If you don't have side air bags, then it is probably related to the passenger side airbag module. Hopefully someone has access to repair information for a '99 that might narrow it down further.

I checked a 95 and 97 Ford Factory service Robert, 37 is not listed in mine either. I even tried codes for Ranger, F150 and others...........nothing. :(

Originally posted by Robert

The bad thing about Ford's SRS computer is it will not clear the code until it has seen 256 clear startups. Everytime you turn your key from off to on, the SRS computer goes through a self diagnostics routine. If it goes through it 256 times, it will clear the light. I sat in my garage a couple years ago turning my Explorer on and off 256 times to clear an air-bag code that I purposefully set (don't ask). Alright, I wanted to see if my scanner would see it (which it didn't) and whether or not disconnecting the battery would clear it (which it didn't). Two hours later it cleared after going through the on/off routine. I disconnected the emergency pump shut-off connector after about 20 sequences so that my fuel pump quit trying to pump.

Man, That is funny as hell,
I am laughing with you not at you.:D

reference manulas??

will a chilton or a hayes reference manual have information about airbag codes?

I doubt it. I think only the Ford Factory Service will have that information. Your code is not even listed in my 97 Factory Service manual. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be a side airbag problem if your X has them. The scanner I got (Diagtek) reads and clears airbag codes, and it only cost $250! THink of it as a buck for each time you have to cycle the key.

Back