Why is there an electrical connector to my non-powered seat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why is there an electrical connector to my non-powered seat?

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Hey all

I'm looking to install a power seat into my 2000 Explorer Sport with a non-powered seat. I noticed the non-powered seat has a 2-pin plug on it. What is it for? Does this mean that the vehicle is wired to accept a powered seat?

Thanks all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it on the seat or the floor? Reading the post it sounds one way then the other...

Could be a seat belt reminder or a weight sensor to tell the airbags how much force to use when deploying.

Yeah its the yellow one...so airbag sensor.

Next question, the power seat im planning on installing does not have the yellow plug. How is this dealt with?

I suspect that the plug is only used on the passenger side as they "assume" that IF your truck is moving and in an accident, you are likely driving it and hence you need protection. Further the passenger side may be an option as equipped with or with out air bags.

Has to do with weight- if it's a child, it disables the airbag...

Thanks for the replies.

Does this mean, if I use the powered seat without the yellow connector, that my airbag system will not work?

What vehicle did the new seats come out of?

What vehicle did the new seats come out of?

It was an Explorer, 95-98...not sure exactly. 4-Door, had the square foglamps in front.

It was an Explorer, 95-98...not sure exactly. 4-Door, had the square foglamps in front.

I have had the seats out of my 98, no yellow wires.

Bob

Bob- I know that the second generation airbags came out in 1998, and the Explorer was one of them that had them, maybe yours was in between?

I just verified that both of my front seats have the yellow wire in my 2000 Ex.

Passenger side:

IMG_2238.jpg

Driver side:

IMG_2241.jpg

It is wrapped into the harness, so if you don't have the plug, I think you'll be void of them.

^ Yeah that's the yellow plug that's in my vehicle, not on the seats im trying to install.

Is that weight sensor transferrable between seats? Or what can I do to use the seat w/o the yellow plug and still keep my airbags?

Ill have to look again. I do have air bags on both sides but I don't remember that yellow connector under the seats.

Wonder what its hooked up to in the seat? Just a switch?
I have the 2000 service manual, Ill take a look and see if the wiring diagram for the seats are in there. If its just a switch he could jump it out, couldn't he? Or could he take a part off the original seat and put it on the powered seat?

Bob

Bump...anyone?

Well I went for it and installed the power seat...I still don't know what that airbag plug is for, it looks like a jumper and is held in by a single phillips screw. I moved the sensor to the new seat. It looks a little funny having two front seats that dont match but its so much more comfortable. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back