Why won't a Ranger/Explorer 4.0L 5R55E trans fit a Ranger 3.0L?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why won't a Ranger/Explorer 4.0L 5R55E trans fit a Ranger 3.0L??

OTR366

Reaction score
City, State
Simi Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger XLT 2WD
I've been researching the answer to this question for over a week and I would like some expert help please.

I have a 04 Ranger XLT 2WD with a 3.0L and code "D" transmission presumably a 5R44E. Transmission has had it.

While at the junk yard I came across a low millage 01 Explorer Sport 4.0L with a code "D" transmission according to the driver door sticker. I have been lead to believe the 4.0L Ranger/Explorer use a 5R55E and will not fit the 3.0L.

And today I have an opportunity to buy a roll over totaled 09 Ranger Sport 4.0L (18K miles) TRN code "D" for pennies on the dollar. Buying this option is less than the cost of rebuilding the shot transmission but again I assume it has a 5R55E which so far I'm lead to believe wont swap right into my 04 Ranger 3.0L.

If the 5R44E (code "D") and 5R55E (code "D") are identical except for the torque capacity, why wont the 5R55E drop right into my 3.0L??

Thanks for any help clearing this up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bolt pattern on the bell housing is different. The 4.0 has the starter on the drivers side and the 4cyl/3.0 have it on the passenger side.

The bolt pattern on the bell housing is different. The 4.0 has the starter on the drivers side and the 4cyl/3.0 have it on the passenger side.

Thanks for trying to help but that's not true.

If that is the case than there should be 2 different part numbers for 5R44E bell housing (2.3/3.0L) and the 5R55E bell housing (4.0L). But the transmission exploded view (5R44E/5R55E) has the same bell housing part for both. Also Ford identifies both the 4.0L and 2.3/3.0L trans code as "D".

My 04 Ranger 3.0 has the starter on the driver’s side and my friends 99 explorer sport 4.0L also has the starter on the driver’s side.

I still don't understand why they are not interchangeable.

...I assume it has a 5R55E which so far I'm lead to believe wont swap right into my 04 Ranger 3.0L.

'Assume' and 'led to believe'... why do you think that, can you elaborate?
Maybe it DOES fit.

I'm only going by what is posted in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127919

Although this looks to also be a 3.0 bellhousing:

rangertrans.jpg

Regardless they're for sure different and won't mate up even if the internals are all the same.

And on a side note, if you're so ****y and think they're the same why did you post this question?

I've been researching the answer to this question for over a week and I would like some expert help please.

I have a 04 Ranger XLT 2WD with a 3.0L and code "D" transmission presumably a 5R44E. Transmission has had it.

While at the junk yard I came across a low millage 01 Explorer Sport 4.0L with a code "D" transmission according to the driver door sticker. I have been lead to believe the 4.0L Ranger/Explorer use a 5R55E and will not fit the 3.0L.

And today I have an opportunity to buy a roll over totaled 09 Ranger Sport 4.0L (18K miles) TRN code "D" for pennies on the dollar. Buying this option is less than the cost of rebuilding the shot transmission but again I assume it has a 5R55E which so far I'm lead to believe wont swap right into my 04 Ranger 3.0L.

If the 5R44E (code "D") and 5R55E (code "D") are identical except for the torque capacity, why wont the 5R55E drop right into my 3.0L??

my understanding the bellhousing for one is larger on the 4th it appears to look that way with what I got going if I were you I would get rid of that 3 liter all together and use the 4 I'm going to use a Bible I got out of an exploder I wanted to keep the 5 speed transmission in my Ranger but it won't bolt up my 3 liters is a good running engine I rebuilt it a few years ago and still got low miles on it but it's just under power and uses too much fuel because it's underpowered right now the issue I have and it started night before last when I push the clutch in and turn the key nothing happens anymore it don't start it don't click it just does nothing my understandings there's a safety switch obviously for pushing in the clutch so you can't start it in gear I believe that's what's bad cuz it's not engaging the starter

Just because the transmission code is the same, that only means it's the same model transmission. It doesn't mean that it is exactly identical. For example, back in the day I had a 1970 Mustang and a 1977 Mustang, both with 302 engines and both with C4 Transmissions. They were not interchangeable. The Bell housings and input shafts we're actually different.

3.0 is a 90 degree v6
4.0 is a 60 degree v6

Totally different family of engines

a 3.0 bellhousing does not fit a 4.0

I have BOTH downstairs
I have 3.0 engine and 4.0 engine and
3.0 transmission and 4.0 transmission downstairs
if you would like me to prove this to you I can

Ford auto transmissions do not have interchangeable bellhousings like other brands (Chevy) do

When I get a 3.0 Ranger I remove the 3.0 toss it in the trash and install a 4.0, just like this:

The 4r55e and 5r55e also came behind the 2.3 and 2.5 4 cylinder, those bellhousings are different too yet they are still 4r55 and 5r55 auto transmissions

The bellhousing on a 4R55E or 5R55E is removable.

I'm only going by what is posted in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127919

Although this looks to also be a 3.0 bellhousing:

View attachment 288070

Regardless they're for sure different and won't mate up even if the internals are all the same.

And on a side note, if you're so ****y and think they're the same why did you post this question?

That is a manual transmission, not an automatic. The manuals had starters on the opposite side. Besides it doesn't matter on the engine where the starter is, just that it engages the flexplate/flywheel.

However, bolt patterns for the 3.0 are not the same as a 4.0. I am unsure if you could swap a 3.0 bellhousing onto a 4.0 transmission. I'm pretty sure somebody has tried before. However, I'd opt to find a 5r44e/5r55e out of 3.0 just to be on the safe side.

Thanks @Josh P you made me look further into this!!!!!!

You might be able to swap a 3.0 bellhousing onto a 4.0 5r55e
The 3.0 trucks used a 5r44e and the 4.0 trucks used the 5r55e
Putting a 5r55e into a 3.0 truck might be possible by swapping the bellhousings.
I have never tried

The 3.0 manual transmission will never fit a 4.0 manual transmission, those bellhousings cannot be removed.

The C3, A4LD and the 4R/5R E transmissions have removable bellhousings that can be swapped. The tailshaft and it's housing can also be swapped. @410Fortune 🤞

Back