• Register Today It's free!

Wierd turn signal problem

hmbre97

Reaction score
City, State
Austin TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport
Ok, here goes. :fire: The left rear turn signal is not working on my 02 Sport. In the past, it would happen so I could reseat the #3 and #7 fuses which fixed it. Well, it came back and reseating the fuses fixed it again. Now I'm having no luck. I have swapped fuses, bulbs, bought new bulbs and sweared until I was blue in the face. The right turn signal works flawlessly front and back. The left front works fine but when using the left turn signal, I get the double speed flashing which normally indicates a bad bulb. I also get no brake light from it when applying the brakes. I do however get parking lights from it.

One thing I found wierd is my manual says the #3 and #7 fuses control the left and right stop and trailer wiring. I can pull both #3 and #7 and I still get a brake light from the center lamp and right lamp. Am I missing something here? I've also pulled the fuse panel out to see if the wiring had came loose behind the panel but everything seems snug. I dunno. I'm about to leave to get a multimeter but I don't know which fuse port I should be checking for power since evidently #3 and #7 don't control the brake lights. Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks,
Herb

Frustrated 02 Explorer Sport and 03 Mach 1 owner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Ok, so I went outside to take off the lower dash knee panel and metal plate behind it so I could get ready to start poking wires with the meter... I turned the hazards on to help me locate the flasher. No luck so I stood up outside the truck to wipe sweat off my head. Now the damn thing is working again. :confused: I'm leaving the damn thing tore apart until I can verify what's wrong and how to fix it.

I've done some searching about the turn signal stalk switch going out. Does that assembly control the hazard lights too? Could this be it? I'd like to make sure nothing else is wrong before dropping $60 on it though.

Multi Function switch has control hazards and signal/ brake lights / trailer lights.

Hope this helps
Scucci

OT I was having so much trouble with an after market remote lock module that I left off the metal plate under the dash so I could get in there easier. I also cut out the little square of plastic under the hood release pull. Now I can pull the under dash plastic off any time I need to.

flaky turn signals

My right turn signal was flaky and the left turn signal always working. I reseated all of the bulbs, flashers, and connections. No improvement. I replaced the multifunction switch (including turn signal) last evening. The turn signal problem went away and seems to be solved. This also fixed my flaky windshield washer operation as well. $80 part and about an hour of labor.

Back