will 31's fit in the stock spare tire location ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will 31's fit in the stock spare tire location ?

I just realized I still have a 235 spare with my new 31's on the ground. I might be able to cripple into town to get a front flat fixed but if I get a flat on the rear I'll have to put the spare on the front then put the good 31 inch front tire on the back to replace the flat rear tire :(
Otherwise I'll screw up the diff with mismatched tire sizes installed, 31 inch on one side and 235 on the other side would be bad news.

Looks like I'm off to the junk yard to find a 31 inch spare.

Once I get the right size spare mounted will it fit into the stock spare tire cavity under the body ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a hitch it will be tough.

I was able to fit a fully inflated 31x10.5 BFG AT on the stock spare rim. However, the tire didn't go up all the way and I had to bungee one side of it to keep it from rocking back and forth. I could have made it fit if I'd pulled the rear bumper out about an inch.

Thanksfor the info. I guess I'll have to get the new spare then see what I have to do to make it fit.

Have you ever noticed that when you change one thing you have to modify two others to make it work ? LOL

Yup. That's why they call the mod bug a disease!

I have a hitch and a 31" spare under the back of my truck. No problems fitting it. A lot depends upon the type of hitch you have. I have a Valley fitted hitch (It matches the curve of the bumper), but it's not a "hidden hitch".

I have no hitch or anything, but a 31" spare does fit fine in the stock opening on my '94

Originally posted by Alec
the tire didn't go up all the way and I had to bungee one side of it to keep it from rocking back and forth.

LOL... using a jack, I had to jack up the tire (not the wheel) to squeeze it up under there so it levels out.

372697_16_full.jpg

With the hitch on did you guy's have to bend the piece that's near the rear axle? I tried to fit one (31") under mine (Hidden Hitch) but it didn't quite fit, but is it ok to just bend that piece? If so It'll probably work.

Carson

my hitch is pretty straight so i might have problems, what about deflating the tire and inflating once in its place? would that work?

Originally posted by NYX
my hitch is pretty straight so i might have problems, what about deflating the tire and inflating once in its place? would that work?

yes, but then you eat up cargo room with an air compressor. Unless you already have an air compressor or really want an air compressor :D

Well the correct answer is Yes. A 31x10.50x15 will fit in the stock spare location on our '94 Sport, even with a U-Haul hitch installed. Left to right there is room to spare but front to back a new tire with full depth tread would not fit w/o modifiying something. This spare has about 50% tread left and it was a tight squeeze to get it past the reciever of the hitch.

Back