Will 97' Driver Side Doors Fit on 98' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 97' Driver Side Doors Fit on 98'

madbrown

Reaction score
City, State
Big Sky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
This is a follow up to my recent post "driver side door replacements". Does anyone know if doors off a 97', or any other year for that matter, will work on a 98' 4 door XLT. Wondering if the replacements will line up or if they'll even be recognized by the current electrical? The current doors (front & back) have electric lock/window and and front has keyless entry. My local salvage yard has some 97' and down models but nothing from 98'-00'. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any 1995-2001 4 door Explorer/Mountaineer door will fit.

My '95 had doors with production date stamped 1991 on them. Factory VIN stickers were still matching... :)

My '95 had doors with production date stamped 1991 on them. Factory VIN stickers were still matching... :)

I was thinking 91-94 doors were the same but I wasn't sure.

Yep- the shells are the same.

Just talked w/gentlemen from locally salvage yard, and he said normally most parts are the same from 95-01', but the doors are different. Said I need to look for 98-01' for doors.

Then you need a new guy...

The only difference, which can be fixed- is the rear door glass from the 1995 to early '97 will be a bronze color. The late 1997-2001 4-door will be smoke.

2 door trucks will have longer doors.

Maybe he was referring to a 2 door then, but I'm certain I clarified a 4 door?

The same year rules apply to the 2-door though. They're just longer.

The only huge difference was the wiring in the Gen I vs. the Gen II.

Back