Will a '10 Bed extender fit a '07? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a '10 Bed extender fit a '07?

mr_clark

Reaction score
City, State
Penticton, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sport Trac Limited
Found a bed extender for sale but I just want to make sure that it will fit my '07. It's listed as being for a '10.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'07 to '10 is the same size.
I am actually using one in my '08 from a '06. It is a little bit smaller but works well enough.

If you buy it used make sure to get the pivot points. They will sell them seperate at the dealer but cost $25 if I remember right. One dealer told me I had to buy the extender to get the pivots, the next dealer had no problem ordering them.

'07 to '10 is the same size.
I am actually using one in my '08 from a '06. It is a little bit smaller but works well enough.

If you buy it used make sure to get the pivot points. They will sell them seperate at the dealer but cost $25 if I remember right. One dealer told me I had to buy the extender to get the pivots, the next dealer had no problem ordering them.

+1...I bought a used extender off craigslist and had to buy the pivot points, I think I only paid $16 for both, don't let the dealer make you buy more than just the pivot points

One dealer told me I had to buy the extender to get the pivots.

This dealer is either a rip-off or has a dumbazz for a parts tech!

This dealer is either a rip-off or has a dumbazz for a parts tech!
I agree! That was why I drove 2 miles away and found a counterman that could order it for me.
This was 3 years ago. $17 for the 2 pivots seems about what I paid. Regardless be aware and get the pivots if you can.

I think any of us could adapt a strike post from Kragen to work. Just need the tap size and the post size.

Are the pivots what's installed in the bed of the truck or are they attached to the extender?

I can see some sort of pivots installed on the extender in the pictures.

Thanks.

the pivot points are 2 bolts that are/will be located right inside the bed of your truck, right behind the tailgate when closed. If you look you should see 3 holes on each side, the holes in the center on each side are where the pivot points will go. They thread into your bed and stay there when you remove your extender. On the extender will be a locking mechanism on each side, so you can lock it in place so it doesn't bounce up and down in the bed or tailgate

can u fit an extender if u have a low-pro truxedo cover? their website says as long as the extender is not within like 3 inches from the rails.....

I have a Leer cap/shell. I use the extender but I can not swing it in, I have to remove it and slide it in. No big deal. I would think it would work with the truxedo cover. You may not be able to swing it up and over when not in use but it will work as a extender.

Got my bed extender on the weekend. Looks awesome. Works great. Got royally screwed by the dealership to buy the pivots. Oh well. I was in a rush to get it working. Could've probably shopped around for a better price.

Some people have mentioned rotating the unit so it can't be stolen but I'm not sure what they mean. I took a closer look at the unit and it seems like somebody can just walk up and pop it out even with the tailgate closed and locked.

Am I missing something?

I think if you lock in the extender from the opened tailgate side in a downward motion, then swivel the extender into the bed, shut and lock your tailgate, then someone can't get it out. I think that's how to stop someone from stealing it, that's how I have mine.

I think if you lock in the extender from the opened tailgate side in a downward motion, then swivel the extender into the bed, shut and lock your tailgate, then someone can't get it out. I think that's how to stop someone from stealing it, that's how I have mine.

Okay that makes sense. I hooked it up as if the tailgate was closed. I'll try that when I get home. Would hate to have some douchebag steal my new bed extender.

Thanks.

Back