Will a 4th gen sunroof glass seal fit a 3rd gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 4th gen sunroof glass seal fit a 3rd gen?

Mario81587

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer AWD
I'm working on a 2002 Mountaineer that is now just a spare vehicle that my family has because it simply developed too many problems over the past 13 years that we've owned it. The sunroof now leaks anytime we have heavy rain. I come back home to visit about once a month and I came home to discover that no one had even driven it in a month, and of course it has rained heavily for the last month plus we had a hurricane. There was so much water inside of it that when my brother opened the door, water poured out of it. There was mold growing in the carpet. I gutted the interior, pressure washed the carpet, let everything dry out, and now I've been troubleshooting the sunroof assembly. The only thing in the interior right now is the dashboard. I dropped the sunroof assembly and put foam weatherstripping around the front of the assembly to fix the issue where the tray becomes too full of water and starts spilling into the headliner. The drain lines are all clear and draining properly. Now when I spray water on the roof, the majority of the water goes to the driver side drain channel and I can hear the water flowing down the drain line and it also goes over the end of the channel right before the drain line attachment on the driver rear and starts pouring into the cabin. I inspected the seal around the sunroof and it is consistently flush against the roof opening except for the front left corner where there is a gap where the seal is worn. Water is literally pouring into the drain tray in this corner, overfilling it, and what the tray and drain lines can't handle is pouring into the cabin. I have searched and searched and cannot find a replacement seal for the 3rd generation. I can only find a seal for the 4th generation, which I had always assumed had the same sunroof glass. Has anyone had an issue with their 3rd gen sunroof glass seal and used a 4th gen seal to fix their issue? I'm a former Toyota technician and I fully understand that the seal is only there to limit the amount of water that comes in, not completely stop it.

Responding because I am also looking for the seal and can't find one.

Back