Window Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Removal

Hey
Can anyone tell me how to remove the windows from both front doors? Do I have to remove the motors or something? I was trying to tint my windows and I failed miserably. SO since it seemed so hard, I thought tinting the windows with the windows removed would be way easier and I would be able to give it a more proffesional look. :D

Can anyone help me? Ive searched the forums and google but all I got was how to remove the window motors and door panles :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't done the front doors, but I did do the second set of doors. You have to drill out a couple rivets that mount the window to the regulator. You can replace the rivets with a small bolt and nut.

Yeah that's what the front windows have too. I guess I'll have to do that. Thanks btw

not a fun task by any means.
Who ever at Ford decided it would be a good idea to attach the glass with rivets needs to be kicked in the shin.

not a fun task by any means.
Who ever at Ford decided it would be a good idea to attach the glass with rivets needs to be kicked in the shin.
LOL, so true!

You don't have to remove the window to get a professinal look for tint. My dad has been tinting window for many years. Here are a few tips.

the rubber "lip" betwen the door panel, and window, push it down. this will allow you cut the tint slighly longer, and not have a gap when the window is all the way up.

to cut the tint to size, cut on the outside of the window. keep the bottom long, and place the tint at the top and cut to the contour of the glass at the top. then round off the corners.

***keep in mind, you will need gaps on the top, and a very small one on the sides to allow for expansion.***

Make sure to use soapy water, that is what we use.

if the tint has bubbles, you can either push them dwn, if they keep appearing, you may need to shrink them with a heat gun.

If you have any more questiosn, please ask, it seems hard, but I was able to do my ex, by myself, with some simple help from my dad over the phone.

Thanks a lot for the pointers! Well what I had initially done was start from the top of the window to get the shape of it. Everything was well until I was removing the plastic back side of the tint. As I was removing the back side, it got windy & since the tint was rolled up, the tint curled back up & stuck itself pretty bad to the backside of the tint. So I gave up & threw it into the trash.

Thanks a lot for the pointers! Well what I had initially done was start from the top of the window to get the shape of it. Everything was well until I was removing the plastic back side of the tint. As I was removing the back side, it got windy & since the tint was rolled up, the tint curled back up & stuck itself pretty bad to the backside of the tint. So I gave up & threw it into the trash.

Tip: spray the window with soapy water, then lay the black side down on the glass, peel away the clear layer. while spraying the black part so that it does not get a bunch of dust on it.

you are on the right track.

Do your tinting inside, like a garage or whatnot.

With the conditions being windy, you will get particles between the tint and glass. You could tint the best day of your life, but the particles will probably remain between the tint and glass, and ruin your work...

Do your tinting inside, like a garage or whatnot.

With the conditions being windy, you will get particles between the tint and glass. You could tint the best day of your life, but the particles will probably remain between the tint and glass, and ruin your work...

Yup. The best place my dad ever tinted was a paint booth, because the shop ran out of room.

tinting outside can be done, but it sucks. and like what Toypaseo said you can get a lot of dirt particles in between the glass and tint. if you look from the outside you will see many white dots.

Back