Window Tint | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tint

well i put 20% on all the windows and i dont see any differenct in any of the windows. the all look black wich is the color i used to me any other color tint on a white exploder would not look good. and the factory tint on the rear windows was not an option. but if you worried abbout it get the 80% bronze tint for the first coat the make it and it will match up with any factory tint.

my actual glass is tinted. it's not just a film added on or anything. so if i put black tint on the inside it won't look the way i want it to.

as stated above, i'm wanting to make all the windows look as close as possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clear glass is deff. the way to go for what you want

id just go with what i have which is a mixture of tints around the car from windows from the junkyard. because too many dumbasses broke my windows trying to steal my ride, i think i have the bronze, no tint, reflective, and one stock. its pretty nice. ;)

clear glass is deff. the way to go for what you want

i'm starting to think so to. If i go to the junkyard, especially pull-a-part, I can get the class pretty cheap. and from what I read reinstalling glass isn't to hard as long as i take my time.

hardest part is going to be transporting the glass without shattering/breaking it.

the junkyard is gravel afterall. guess it'll be one by one to the explorer.

Yea that would suck, you get all the way home and it breaks.:thumbdwn:
Troy his tint isnt bronze its mirror so putting black behind it wouldnt change the outside appearance.

id just go with what i have which is a mixture of tints around the car from windows from the junkyard. because too many dumbasses broke my windows trying to steal my ride, i think i have the bronze, no tint, reflective, and one stock. its pretty nice. ;)

:confused::crazy:

i just had another thought as well.

i just checked the pull-a-part inventory for augusta, they actually have 3 second generation explorers. it's funny how those are old enough to start showing up there.

but ANYWAYS, i just had another idea. from the explorer's that i've seen on the road, second generations have normal black tint on them. my father's had black tint, so i'm thinking that i could possibly get either clear glass, or the second generation glass and just have another layer added on, like a strip of 50% or so, and then have the front windows done.

just a thought. the glass would fit wouldn't it? cause a second generation is pretty much the same except for the front end body wise correct?

yeah, there's 13 explorers in the yard between the yeras 1991-1998. there's got to be something. even if i start with just the two back ones. lol

Alright just went out and compared my first gen to my moms sec gen and they are the same size. The front end and the rear qauter panels are different cuz of the different tail lights.

Also I'm not sure if how the rear glass bolts? in is the same but it should be

Alright just went out and compared my first gen to my moms sec gen and they are the same size. The front end and the rear qauter panels are different cuz of the different tail lights.

SWEET! thanks man, i really appreciate. i have to go to the yard tomorrow anyways, my driver window track is bent all out of shape. and i just checked and "door glass" runs 11.48 per piece. can't ask for anything better unless it was free.

this is great, cause i'll spend 100 dollars having the front two windows tinted, or i can spend at max 81 dollars changing out the glass for possible all ready tinted and getting the REAL result i want.

my day just keeps better and better.

hey dont forget josh that pull apart has the shuttle service (lol) they got guys running around all the time in john deer carts (like golf cart but bigger) i think the way it works is that if you got parts that are to big to haul by hand they can do it for you .....that will keep you from haveing a mental breakdown of sorts ;)

hey dont forget josh that pull apart has the shuttle service (lol) they got guys running around all the time in john deer carts (like golf cart but bigger) i think the way it works is that if you got parts that are to big to haul by hand they can do it for you .....that will keep you from haveing a mental breakdown of sorts ;)

lol, this is true. i can see it now

josh : "hey, can you put these on your cart and take me to the front?"
pap guy: "sure" then tosses glass, glass shatters

later that night on the news
"Local man arrested for slashing throat of junkyard worker"

i'd probably go insane if that happened.

good news!!!

i just got back from the junkyard, i have two options.

there's a second generation explorer with black tint out there right now, looks like it's tinted glass, but it's the black kind not what i have. so i can get those.

OR (and this is got me really excited)

is that there is a first generation explorer, same year and same as mine with CLEAR glass. i'm talking no reflective, no tint, no nothing. i think i'm going to go back out there either tomorrow or the next day to pick them up. it's exactly what i want, and they are in GREAT condition, no scrapes or anything.

now i just have to figure out how to get them all out, lol. search time

IMO it'd be cheaper to get the already tinted glass since its the same price as the clear glass and that way you dont have to pay for the glass and having it tinted. Unless you wanted to go darker than the factory tint then I'd go with the clear glass so there wont be any difference in darkness between the front and back glass

IMO it'd be cheaper to get the already tinted glass since its the same price as the clear glass and that way you dont have to pay for the glass and having it tinted. Unless you wanted to go darker than the factory tint then I'd go with the clear glass so there wont be any difference in darkness between the front and back glass

i think i'm going to do the clear glass anyways. i'd rather have actual black tint, then reflective glass. besides, my plan is to have this thing pimped out down the road. fiberglass door panels, subs, custom interior, so this will be part of the overall look, and it'll be EXACTLY what i want. the glass will cost around 70 dollars i'm hoping, and tinting won't be to much. turns out my neighbor knows the guy i went to the other day

Cool well maybe he can get you a deal on the tint. You getting 5% or lighter?

Cool well maybe he can get you a deal on the tint. You getting 5% or lighter?

well the law in georgia is 32% for front/rear windows, and up to 6 inches on the windshield. not sure how dark i'm going to go, i'm thinking at least 30% though. the explorer will be painted white eventually, so to much of a color contrast will be easy to tell. i mean 5% tint on a white explorer will be WAY visible. i'm thinking 20-30% will be good enough without attracting to much attention. i'm also thinking about a colored tint... maybe having a blue tint layed down, with the black over it. idk yet. still looking around.

Yea the law here is 35% but they dont really enforce it on trucks, I was thinking about getting my front windsheild tinted 35% but I think thats overkill and yea tint on a white truck is very noticeable. You can get a decal or something cut in colored tint and then have the black tint behind it so it kinda sticks out. My buddy used to work for a tint shop and it lookes pretty cool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

never thought about that. it'd be a pretty cool effect. especially if i start running my car club again. thanks man, you just added to the crazyness.

next thing i got to research is fiberglassing the dash. that's the main thing i want done

Back