Window Tinting | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting

I just had my '14 Explorer Limited front side windows done at 35% and the windshield done at 55%, was kind of worried about the front and being harassed by the police, but there is really no way for them to test the front with a meter. As long as the sides are 35% all is good.
I hope that you are referring to the top 6" or so of the windshield and not the entire windshield. Keep in mind that while tinting reduces the amount of visibility inward, it also reduces visibility outward, especially at night. There is a reason that it is illegal to tint below the line defined by the markings on the windshield.

http://tintlaws.com/

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had 13% done on my fronts, OEM in the rear and 5% across the top strip.
20150324_154232-M.jpg

20150324_154243-M.jpg

I just had my '14 Explorer Limited front side windows done at 35% and the windshield done at 55%, was kind of worried about the front and being harassed by the police, but there is really no way for them to test the front with a meter. As long as the sides are 35% all is good.

FYI. The windshield can be tested with a meter. They make meters that have 2 separate pieces so they can put them on either side of the glass and measure light throughput.

Yes there is a meter that does test the windshield and all glass on a vehicle. Don't be fooled, even most small towns can figure whether it's legal or not.

Living in Florida I went illegal with 5% all the way around and I love it!!!

Window Tint and Vent Visors

Hey MParrado - Looks nice. I worked with the police in South Florida and most of the them have 5% on their own cars! They did not mess with dark tints unless you happen to be driving in a not-so-nice part of town or did something stupid that made the officer look for something to give you a ticket for. I have heard some of the State troopers actually use a razor blade and take the tint off right there on the road.

Anyway, what brand are the vent visors you have? I am going to get some soon and wanted to know what kind to get. And did you put splash guards on the front too? Did you use WeatherTech? Thanks!

I have 20 % on fronts..legal is 35% in MA...but i have a statie buddie that can get me out of tint tickets if i get them..works for me

Hey MParrado - Looks nice. I worked with the police in South Florida and most of the them have 5% on their own cars! They did not mess with dark tints unless you happen to be driving in a not-so-nice part of town or did something stupid that made the officer look for something to give you a ticket for. I have heard some of the State troopers actually use a razor blade and take the tint off right there on the road.

Anyway, what brand are the vent visors you have? I am going to get some soon and wanted to know what kind to get. And did you put splash guards on the front too? Did you use WeatherTech? Thanks!

BACK IN THE DAY I HAD A 98 SPORT BLACK WITH 5% ON THE FRONT AND 2 LAYERS OF 5% ON THE BACK PRIVACY GLASS. I GOT PULLED OVER 1 TIME AND THE TOWN THAT HAD "THAT COP" WITH THE BLADE NEVER FOUND ME. HA! IF YOU GET PULLED OVER, IT'S A NON-MOVING VIOLATION AND YOUR PAY THE FINE. DID THAT LAST YEAR FOR SOMETHING ELSE, NO CHANCE TO FIX THE ISSUE EITHER, JUST A CASH TICKET. VISOR I BOUGHT FROM CARID.com EBAY STORE. I SAVED A FEW BUCKS ON EBAY THAN THE WEBSITE: AVS - Smoke In-Channel Ventvisor Window Deflectors Front, Rear 4 Pcs. I WENT AVS BECASUE I WANTED IN-CHANNELS IN DARK COLOR. SPLASHES WHERE DEALER INSTALLED.

So I've decided I need to add tinting to my Limited. I originally thought I would just have the front windows done to match the back and maybe add an windshield eyebrow. I'm not really into the car accessories so I do not know much about tinting etc (but have had it done in the past).
Anyways, the person on the phone said the factory back window tinting doesn't offer any heat protection or much UV protection. She mentioned I could add tint over the factory (thus doing the whole vehicle) to get maximum heat and UV protection.

Is this true?? Would it be ideal to add additional tint/film over the back windows (for an additional cost)?

Also, Does anyone know what % tint the 2016 back windows are? I would like the front windows to roughly match, but I do worry about night vision.

Also, she mentioned tinting/filming the windshield as well. Does anyone have experience with that? How does it affect night vision?

Thanks for the help!

Tinting your windows is dependent on your states laws. Which state you are in is not listed in your profile so we can't help you there. The rear windows on my Ex do an excellent job in blocking UV. I just got the front side windows tinted. They are just trying to get you to spend more money by trying to get you to needlessly tint the rear windows. Be careful tinting the windshield. Technically it is against federal law and most states outlaw it unless it does not fall below the little tick marks etched on the upper sides of the windshield.

I live in Arkansas. If google is correct, 10% is allowed on rear and back windows of SUVs, 25% for front windows.
The tinting place is a highly regarded company in the area. Maybe the person I talked to was mistaken about the factory tint UV and heat protection on the Explorer?

I just got the front driver and passenger windows tinted in my new 2015. I got the lightest I could get and the tint place told me it was 35%. I live in Phoenix. It blocks a lot of the UV, keeps the vehicle cooler, and looks a little bit lighter than the other windows in the vehicle. I thought it was a good choice for me. In my opinion, I would not tint the windshield.

Front windsheild is a no-go for any state as far as legally tinting it unless u just want that lame looking top strip done.

I know my state (Missouri) allows any darkness (I had 5% light coming in on my mustang) on the rear and rear side windows, and 35% light coming in on the front windows. And honestly 35% is pretty dark unless you have a bright light shining directly though it.

Though i know some states do not allow any aftermarket tint at all, no matter its darkness.

I live in Arkansas. If google is correct, 10% is allowed on rear and back windows of SUVs, 25% for front windows.
The tinting place is a highly regarded company in the area. Maybe the person I talked to was mistaken about the factory tint UV and heat protection on the Explorer?

There is UV protection on the windows of the Ex, but no solar protection, the car will heat up like an oven no matter your tint, it just takes a bit longer with more tint.

Google 'solar tinting' and you will find plenty of info on that, and if you choose to do any solar tint, make sure you tint the sunroof.
Top half of cabin, headliner roof area, sunglass holder, too hot to touch, & the sunglasses too!

There are posts on here and online about solar tinting, including the windshield.
The shops that do this state up to 80% of the heat in the car during summer can be blocked by solar tinting.

The windshield is huge and I can feel the heat coming off the dash even with AC while driving - so I believe it. That and the sunroof could make a huge difference.

Its a clear layer thats applied and supposedly its 100% optically clear - no distortion, no bubbles, no weird reflections, no polarization effects, & undetectable.

Adding such a layer to the windshield is a big no-no but a shop will do it likely with a disclaimer you would sign. And possibly a shop isnt available in your state.

They use 3M films as well as other top quality brands, so the material is good, but the installation must be excellent.

Lets just remember one thing - the car sitting in the sun with a window shade and vented - its still going to be 125* in the cabin no matter what you do.
...and in winter, the car will stay cold longer...oh the irony...

...jeez never again black on black holy cow is it hot, even 2 or 3 hours later the seats are toasty warm. ;)

Thank you lukerdooker. My car will sit out all day in a vast parking lot in the middle of Arkansas and they get hot! So it looks like I probably do want the whole vehicle done with a solar tint to help prevent some of the heat!
I talked with Ford and they said the back windows prevent 98% of UV rays. I guess that's not preventing the solar and heat

Here's the deal, it's a metal box and as such it's gonna get hot.
That being said, I only did the front doors on mine (13%) and pretty close to the rears and unless you go REALLY light on the rears it's gonna get dark back there so be aware.
The tint shop is "advising" but really upping their sale with you. I honestly wouldn't spend on the rears.
20150324_154232-M.jpg

I have had several vehicles with the factory privacy tint. Some of them I only had the front doors done, but on my old 2006 F150 King Ranch and my 2012 Explorer that replaced it, I did have additional tint added to the rears. I have noticed that it does feel cooler. I also use a custom fit sunshade when the vehicle is parked. I am thinking about adding the outside vent visors to help release more heat from the Explorer when it's parked.

Now, it could be just a psychological thing, but I plan on getting a laser thermometer to compare and verify if it really does help or not.

MA legal is 35% all around..i am at 20-18% on the fronts....lucky for me i am good buddies with a statie....haven't had an issue yet and have passed TONS

I had 20% put on the fronts of our 2016 Sport and it seems to be a perfect match. I tried to get the front windshield tinted with LLUMAR Air Blue 80, but had to abort due to the change in how the rear view mirror is attached. The tool he has used on other Fords didn't work on the '16. I made a post earlier this week asking if anyone knew how to remove the rear view mirror. Around 200 views and not one reply. lol I've had Air Blue 80 on other vehicles and the heat rejection is legit. Before, you couldn't leave your hand on the dash after the car was in the sun for a while. Afterwards, the dash was HOT, but you could leave your hand on it without cooking your flesh. lol 3M Crystalline is another good option for the front windshield.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks everyone. I go in today. I was considering AB80 or crystalline for the front windshield too. I hate to hear that there is an issue in applying it. I saw the post, but I sure don't know how to remove the rear view mirror.
I don't want to go too dark on front windows that it affects vision/night vision. Maybe stick to 35%, 25% max..
Still have to decide if tinting whole vehicle is worth the $

Back